What exactly does a Law Guardian do (court assigned to my 8 and 9 year old)?

Short version - A cancerous tumor was found on ex-wives brain and removed Christmas eve. (I didn't know prior) - dropped our 2 minor children off at ex-inlaws Christmas eve. to go see mother. - Could not locate boys all week - Filed for emergency temp custody Yesterday (Friday)(Already had 50/50 legal,... show more Short version
- A cancerous tumor was found on ex-wives brain and removed Christmas eve. (I didn't know prior)
- dropped our 2 minor children off at ex-inlaws Christmas eve. to go see mother.
- Could not locate boys all week
- Filed for emergency temp custody Yesterday (Friday)(Already had 50/50 legal, placement with Mother. I got every weekend and a couple days during week - 3 1/2 years with no prior issues) Looking for full Temp placement with me until she is better.
- Court yesterday as ex-wife still in ICU.
- Ex-mother in law produced letter with scribble signature on bottom that my ex wants children placed with her mom not me.
- Judge gave kids to me but I have to take them to her moms Monday.
- He assigned a for the boys and set another court date for Wednesday.
- I know that a law guardian represents the best interest of the kids, but what are they doing until Wednesday to sort this mess out? (interview me? ex? School?)

My sons are 8 and 9 years
Update: are married to mom? - No has paternity already been established naming you as the biological father? - YES Do you have counsel? - YES Is mom (icu) uncouscious or is she just very sick. Can she talk? Write? Barley could read her signature. Kids talked to her on the phone Thursday (havn't seen her yet) and... show more are married to mom? - No

has paternity already been established naming you as the biological father? - YES
Do you have counsel? - YES
Is mom (icu) uncouscious or is she just very sick. Can she talk? Write? Barley could read her signature. Kids talked to her on the phone Thursday (havn't seen her yet) and said that she could hardly talk and was using the wrong words ALOT when she did speak.
Update 2: Acea M - the not married means divorced 3 years ago.
Update 3: omarchavezmcse - I told the boys that I would like them to stay with me when mom is sick and then go back like before when she is better but Mom and Grandma want them to stay with Grandma. I told them that they are going to be asked some questions as as long as they don't lie, I wont be mad at all with anything... show more omarchavezmcse - I told the boys that I would like them to stay with me when mom is sick and then go back like before when she is better but Mom and Grandma want them to stay with Grandma. I told them that they are going to be asked some questions as as long as they don't lie, I wont be mad at all with anything they say. I'll only be mad at them if they don't answer truthful.
Update 4: judy y - I am so there for my boys. On Christmas eve I had an arrangement worked out with my ex's Fiance that would have worked great for the kids to make sure they got to see mom, to school and they were taken well care of. He called me after talking with my ex prior to surgery. PROBLEM. He isn't familiy... show more judy y - I am so there for my boys. On Christmas eve I had an arrangement worked out with my ex's Fiance that would have worked great for the kids to make sure they got to see mom, to school and they were taken well care of. He called me after talking with my ex prior to surgery. PROBLEM. He isn't familiy yet and has no say - Grand ma marched in ----
Update 5: judy y - I am so there for my boys. On Christmas eve I had an arrangement worked out with my ex's Fiance that would have worked great for the kids to make sure they got to see mom, to school and they were taken well care of. He called me after talking with my ex prior to surgery. PROBLEM. He isn't familiy... show more judy y - I am so there for my boys. On Christmas eve I had an arrangement worked out with my ex's Fiance that would have worked great for the kids to make sure they got to see mom, to school and they were taken well care of. He called me after talking with my ex prior to surgery. PROBLEM. He isn't familiy yet and has no say - Grand ma marched in ----