Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If 1 John 3:4 and 1 John 2:4 are true, why do Chistians reject the Biblical Sabbath and keep Sunday instead?

Update:

Linda J; How do you know I do not keep all the weekly and annual Sabbaths? Since you know about them, just maybe you will be held responsible for them?

Update 2:

Steve: your answer shows a willful lack of understanding of the New Testament. Under the New Covenant it is easily proven that the sacrifical system is completed in Christ. The Law, however, is clearly still binding. 1 John 2:4; 1 John 3:4; Revelations 12:17; 14:12,22:14; Matthew 5:19

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Bible specifically says "Saturday"? Where? It's doesn't mention "Saturday" in either of those passages. Are you using a special Bible version?

• 1 decade ago

I do keep the Sabbath not on Sunday.

Why do u generalize about all Christians, I know that Messiah IS Jewish, so I look to Yeshua.

At one time u couldn't become a Christian unless u gave up ur Jewishness.

Just as Peter taught if u wanted to become a Christian u had to become Jewish.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

During the early days of Christianity the persecuters of the Jews would find the Jews very easy on the day of the Sabbath (Saturday) Well the Christians figured it would be easy just to switch to Sunday so they would not be mistaken as Jews.

The Catholic Church has invented more stuff and changes more things against the Bible than anyone. And usually it was for money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Early Jewish Christians observed both the Sabbath and the reverence of Jesus on Sundays.

Soon after the time of Jesus, though, the Jewish-Roman Wars created a strong desire for Christians to emphasis the things that separated them from Jews. Many unusual decisions were made just to create a difference.

PS: The Resurrection (Easter) used to be celebrated on a set day and did NOT follow the Passover Seder.

Source(s): Non-Abrahmic Theist
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TIAT
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Because they only "profess" to be Christians!.....Christianity honored the Jewish Sabbath of Saturday, but Constantine shifted it to coincide with the pagan's veneration day of the sun. To this day, most "churchgoers" attend services on Sunday morning with no idea that they are there on account of the pagan sun god's weekly tribute!...Protestants still retain many pagan doctrines and traditions inherited from Rome. Some of these false traditions involve the pagan holidays that the early Catholics adopted and gave Christian-sounding names. "Babylon" is a symbol of confusion. The formation of the Roman Catholic church and then the later appearance of dozens of "Daughter" churches has certainly brought about a spiritual malaise of conflicting denominations, doctrines, creeds and practices—all supposedly "Christian." Yet none of them corresponds remotely to the Christianity that the original Apostles and the early Church of God followed for decades after the death of Jesus of Nazareth. They all have retained dozens of pagans ideas, and practices, that would have been utterly foreign to the early Church. Satan has indeed done a masterful job of creating a counterfeit Christianity.

• 1 decade ago

Here's the law for Christians, "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." Rom 14:5

Actually the verse prior to that is relevant here as well. "Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? "

So it says, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." Col 2:16

But as for jewish legalism, why don't Jews obey the Laws of Moses? When was the last time you sacrificed a bull?

• 1 decade ago

I think you are too hung up on the day of the week...although Saturday is the best and original day.

Jesus said one day we would worship the Father not at one place or set of circumstances, but in spirit and in truth......in other words, you can get the day of the week right, like the pharisees did, and get the doctrine all messed up.

it is the heart of the worship that is most important....and most Christians do set aside one day of of 7 to worship.

• 1 decade ago

It doesn't matter what day they celebrate the event.

What's important is that Christians remember that god made them, this world, and everythign in it in 6 days, and spent one day resting.

It's very simmilar to how Christians celebrate Jesus's birth 2 months after the actual date.

• 1 decade ago

You seem to be beating on this question as if it's really stuck in your craw, dear one. Go and worship as you choose. Don't worry about others who worship differently. God has them all covered in Christ Jesus!

God bless and Happy New Year!

Source(s): <>< \o/
  • 1 decade ago

So tell me, if you're so bent on Keeping the Sabbath, then what's YOUR explanation for not keeping ALL THE SABBATHS!?!

There's more than one you know, many in fact, and I know you don't keep them all, so what's your excuse!?!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.