Database administration Oracle?

Hello Everyone, I am an engineering student with CS stream..

But, i would like to go in Database, as i am not interested in going to the field of traditional Software Development...

so, I have to do a certification course in Oracle...

Actually i really didn't know anything about this Database thing.

So can anyone tell me any e-book to start with as i am a Novice in this thing. I really don't know the 'A' of Database and Oracle.. I've to go with Oracle 9i.. So please if anyone have any e-book of it, plz give the link of the FREE e-book if it is available in any website..

Plz Help..!! its a question of My career

Favorite Answer

Hi -

As a 3-time OCP and seasoned professional in the field, I offer this advice....

Stick with Oracle, all other database are misnomers in calling themselves databases.

Start with 10g and 11g. No reason to look at 9i and below. The features in 10g and 11g are cool and also a lot of the mundane tasks that DBAs had to do in the past are obsolete now.

With no experience as a DBA, there won't be many companies willing to hire you straight away. Your only hope is to beg a senior DBA to take you under his/her wing and teach you the ropes. No offense, but everyone starts out this way. The database is too complex and way too critical to be managed by anyone without experience. Your existing experience is proof enough that you're intelligent and motivated enough to be able to do a good job, you just need someone to believe in you and give you a chance. This is 90% of the battle to becoming an Oracle DBA.

You should be a daily reader and devoted follower of Tom Kyte. He is by far the best Oracle professional on the planet and anyone/anything he recommends as worthy reading should also be looked at. Go to

http://asktom.oracle.com/

and just start reading anything there. Just choose a topic and start reading it, then ask questions about what you don't understand or search the Ask Tom site for the answers.

You should also be familiar with how to download, install, patch and configure RedHAt Linux (or any Linux like CentOS). You have to know the OS layer, else it is very difficult to completely understand how the database works and why it behaves like it does sometimes.

Last, download and install Oracle 10g or 11g on your laptop or home computer. Then uninstall it and install it again, and again, and again... One of the tasks you'll get when you find a senior DBA to work for will be the following:

Install Oracle

Deinstall Oracle

Export a database

Import a database

Export a schema

Import a schema

Check the alert log

Look up error messages

Patch the database

Do all these things on your local copy of Oracle at home, screw it up as many times at you need to at home, perfect the art of doing these things, and then go to a senior DBA and show that you can do these things, and you've got the job. Then it's just a matter of working in the field for a few years and before you know it you're the senior DBA taking in a junior DBA to do the above tasks....

Good Luck.

Hi. I recently did my Oracle DBA course and I really enjoyed it. Its a good choice for your career if you are interested in SQL and databases then i suggest you to go for it and If you have good knowledge of other languages such as Java along with oracle then you could get a very good job with handsome salary check.

I wrote a detail article on How to be a DBA in which i have explained everything about oracle dba course like which exams you need face and what is the syllabus of every exam.

and how to prepare for these exams

here is the link

http://www.rebellionrider.com/how-to-become-Oracle...

Hope here you will get the answer of all your question related to Oracle DBA course.

If you don't know anything about this Oracle and database then you have to do any certification course in Oracle because it will really very helps you to get very good knowledge about the Oracle.You can also check it out this site for more information http://www.blinkconsulting.com/