Stray Pit Bull, what to do?

My father-in-law found a stray male (non-nuetered) pit bull or pit bull mix. He appears to be about one year old. He has a few scars around his neck (like bite marks). However, in the past three days, he's shown absolutely no signs of aggression. He is shy and sweet, lets us pick him up, give him a bath,... show more My father-in-law found a stray male (non-nuetered) pit bull or pit bull mix. He appears to be about one year old. He has a few scars around his neck (like bite marks). However, in the past three days, he's shown absolutely no signs of aggression. He is shy and sweet, lets us pick him up, give him a bath, play with toys etc.

My father-in-law wants very badly to keep the dog but my mother-in-law is scared that it will attack other dogs or people.

My question is....if you don't know a pit bull's history (how it was raised, how it was treated, possible history of abuse) can the dog be trusted? I know each dog is different, but does anyone have any experience with this?