Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Stray Pit Bull, what to do?

My father-in-law found a stray male (non-nuetered) pit bull or pit bull mix. He appears to be about one year old. He has a few scars around his neck (like bite marks). However, in the past three days, he's shown absolutely no signs of aggression. He is shy and sweet, lets us pick him up, give him a bath, play with toys etc.

My father-in-law wants very badly to keep the dog but my mother-in-law is scared that it will attack other dogs or people.

My question is....if you don't know a pit bull's history (how it was raised, how it was treated, possible history of abuse) can the dog be trusted? I know each dog is different, but does anyone have any experience with this?

Favorite Answer

Scars don't necessarily mean fight scars. I would bring the dog to a vet to have it scanned for a microchip just in case to check for an owner just to be fair. Have a very knowledgeable behaviorist or trainer evaluate it for temperament, like for food aggression, general submissiveness or dominance, prey drive, that sort of thing. Remember, dog aggression is not the same thing as people aggression. If he'd like to keep the dog or at least find it a new home, get the basic rabies and parvo/distemper shots and neuter the dog for sure (charge any prospective adopters the fee for the neuter). With any stray, shelter, or rescue dog, you just don't know their background. Three out of my four dogs are from shelters/rescues and two out of those were picked up as strays, so I had no idea of their backgrounds either. Find a good trainer or behaviorist (see the website below) to give you a good honest opinion.

Source(s): I'm a behaviorist and a vet student http://www.apdt.com http://www.pbrc.net/

What ever you do DO NOT take the pit-bull to a human society to leave it there, or to any other place to leave it 9/10 it would be put down just because it is a pit-bull. DO NOT advertise you found a pit-bull everyone and their brother will be trying to claim it as their own. Most with only intentions of fighting the poor dog, or giving it a life of hell. Also if someone who cared about the pit-bull lost it they would have fliers up pit-bulls are expensive dogs most people would have fliers up with an hr of noticing the dog gone. However if it was treated cruel or used for fighting they really don't care about the dog. There are too many pit-bulls put down because of fighting. If the dog is not showing aggressive tendencies keep it, give it a good home, pits make awesome guard dogs and pets. I have pit-bull he is the sweetest dog, has never bit anybody, as a matter of fact our chihuahua/pit-bull mix runs him all over the house. The chihuahua/pit-bull mix is the size of a chihuahua with the pit markings and attitude. The other being a full-blooded pit-bull could snap her in half anytime he wanted to. Looks funny having a toy dog boss around a large dog. However the point is he is friendly not all pit-bulls are bad. All you can do is watch his behavior around other dogs, and people. Sounds like your father-in-law might have a new best friend. If it is only partially pit-bull not full he might have been thrown out because he wasn't full-blooded therefore no use to the people that bred him sad but it has happened in the past. He might be full-blooded that they couldn't get papers on another reason pits are thrown out. If they are breeding and can't get papers they can't sell them as full blooded pit-bulls. Just watch his attitude, make sure he isn't aggressive. Give him lots of love and attention and even if the dog has been abused, with enough love they can still be great dogs. If he was used for fighting he would attack any other dog in sight. So if a friend of yours has a dog take your dog to their house on a leash if he don't snarl up or try to fight I think your safe. I hope I have helped some I and I truly hope the dog has found a great home full of love. Good luck.

Of course try to find the owner first.

Pit bulls are typically very gentle around people- they have had human aggression bred out of them. Some can be suspicious or aggressive with other animals: much of it depends on the dog's socialization while it is a puppy, and you can't know what this dog has been exposed to in the past (ie. small children, cats, etc). Any pit bull requires consistent training and discipline, and owners have to be vigilant- avoid leaving him with any other pets or in the yard unsupervised, don't let him off-leash in public. This is only the responsible thing to do, nothing to do with your dog's temperament or history.

I think it is discouraging that your mother-in-law is scared of the dog and that's a good reason (IMHO) to give him up to the local humane society. A dog requires a big commitment, and pit bulls more so than other breeds. If your in-laws do some research on the breed and decide that they both want the dog, and are willing to commit time, energy and money to it's well-being, then go for it!!

YES! The dog can be trusted. I would call a pit bull rescue, they would be happy to give you advice! I adopted a pit bull from a rescue group, while she was only 4 months old when I got her, I stay in touch w/ the rescue organizer. She is always getting new dogs that are both young and old. Most of your "pit bull problems" come from bad owners. You must NEVER chain a pit bull or any dog. I would tell your in-laws to bring him to the vet to get all of his shots(b/c he most likely has had no vet care) and GET HIM NEUTERED!

The dog may be dog aggressive, however that does NOT mean he is people aggressive. From what you said he sounds to have a good temperament. One of the dogs at the rescue right now is 3 years old...a few months when she was still w/ her owner she was starving to death in a concrete type crate. She did not have much human interaction and what she did have it was negative. She barely pulled through and now is one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet! You would never know what an awful past she had.

My best suggestion is for you to tell your in-laws to contact a pit bull rescue and get their advice. They deal w/ these types of cases all the time and could give them some great in site on the breed! Also, visit pitbulllovers.com, it's the best site I have found on the breed!

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

EDIT: Please don't listen to what some of these people are saying. They are clearly uneducated on the breed! I also forgot, he may have scars on his neck, however if he was fought he would have them on his face too. It could be that someone had his collar on him too tight. Or a heavy chain on his neck. Also, if your in-laws decide not to keep him please don't call tell them to call the pound. Call a pit bull rescue like I said before. I'm sure they would be glad to take him. Oh, and here's a quick way to test his temperment. Get something that will make a loud noise when it hits the ground. Have him next to you and drop it on the floor. He may startle, but you want him to go investigate what the noise object is pretty quickly. That's just a quick test, there are a few more at pitbulllovers.com! Good Luck again!

Source(s): Pit bull owner and lover!

Oh that poor dog. He obviously really needs love and a good home. Since he's young you have a great chance to train him. Any dog can be dangerous. It all depends on how the dog was raised. Pit bulls have a very bad reputation because excuses for human beings have mistreated them so badly, using them for attack dogs etc. Do you have young children in the home? If not, that should lessen the fear. Does the dog have dominance issues? Can you take food away from it? You can take the dog to a vet or a humane society to see about getting a behavorial assessment done. They do little real life tests (like taking the food away) to see if the dog has issues. The dog is very young and does have a chance. The sweetest, gentlest dog I have ever had was a Rottweiler who came from an abused home. She's passed now but she was the best dog I've ever known, and most rewarding because I saved her from a horrible fate. I believe dogs do know when they are being rescued and will love you so much so you never regret it. I hope you keep him.

• Have a professional animal behaviorist evaluate him. If he checks out, have him neutered and at least give him a chance. It's likely he'll be perfectly fine in a home. I would use the utmost caution around other dogs and if there is even a little bit of aggression I would avoid other dogs completely. Animal aggression and human aggression are two completely separate things. Traditional fighting rules require that any ring dog not be human aggressive at all. They will cull any dog that shows ANY signs of aggression towards humans immediately. So many pitbulls are dog aggressive, but that doesn't at all mean they are human aggressive, that is not bred into them, if they are it's because they were made that way by abuse. With caution and firm training this dog should be ok.

Just be careful and go with your instincts on this, if they ever come to a point where they don't trust the dog for some reason they should seek a PROFESSIONAL trainer who's dealt with aggressive dogs.

You should have it checked out. Pit bulls are amazing. I can promise anyone that has had one would agree that they ae the best. Anyone else is afraid of them because of the stories they hear. These people most likely have not had pit bulls, or have had them, and raised them to be vicious.

I would keep it. It is people like your mother in law who have a closed mind, and judge things without personal experience that change the life of a very loving and loyal dog. There are so many in the pounds just because of fear.

It's all in how you raise a dog. You should feed it and take a broom and move the food dish. If it attacks it? Well there is a reason. Would it be a worry if it were a chihuahua? They have worse temperments than pits. Their bits are just not as bad.

I have had 4 in my life. They all are so wonderful. The best dogs I have ever had.

Give the dog a chance..it has shown no agression so far. You should not judge the dog just because of the breed..your mom is buying into all the media hype. If this was a lab or a shepard, etc..would she feel the same why?? I assume not. If you take the dog to the pound it will most likely be euthanized. You CAN get a trainer to work with the dog to check him for agressive tendencies. I think pit bulls are great dogs and have never meet with an agressive one yet.

Source(s): ex-veterinary technician (12 years) and pet sitter who has cared for and treated hundreds of pit bulls.

I dont understand why people thing pits are monsters. I have had many pits and many huskies,(used to foster) and in my opinion, the huskies were WAY more aloof and unpredictable than the pits. Hell, ive seen a standard poddle attack my pit, and he didnt even try to fight back. I have a 90 pound silver pit bull named Levi and he is the biggest snuggle bunny I have ever met. But when he was in the pound, no one wanted him because everyone was scared just because of how he looked. You could tell that he was very well-bred, huge muscles and head, cropped ears, (which I actually think is horrible to do to a dog), I heard several people call him "evil" and a "child grabber". But he is the sweetest dog ever, loves kids, and other dogs, and just people in general.

I think you should give a call to your local animal shelter to report that you found a dog, incase someone is looking for him, they wont necessarily make you take him to the pound. And the scars could very easily be chain marks. Ive seen tons of pits have them, because lots of people just chain them up outside and leave them there, I mean, why get a dog if youre not going to pay attention to it. You could get the scars checked, or even just call the vet and describe them. He probably wasnt fought, fighting dogs typically go for the face and front of the legs, when two dogs just happen to get in a little rumble, they usually go for the scruff of the neck.

take it to a vet they can establish bite or possible pressure marks from chain tie out if only around neck. find a trainer that can do a behavioral evaluation for you. any dog is risk, pits have stronger jaws but the liklihood of attack by this breed is statistically less than labrador retriever. all dogs are animals and unpredictables, using caution as an owner and limiting pet (especially dog) exposure to strange people and animals will surely reduce chance of bites with any dog regardless of breed. if you end up considering rehoming, there are several good pit rescues in the country and several very very very bad pit rescues.... bad ones "rescue" to put dogs into fighting and "pulling" (look it up) sick people. point being, before you hand a pit over to any rescue group do your research, talk to other high profile resuces in your area with solid reputations, they should be able to point you in the right direction for pit friendly groups that are on the good guys side.