Jogging in the cold with a baby?

I am in the process of training for a half marathon. My husband purchased a jogging stroller for me and my 9-month old daughter and I am eager to get going. But I'm scared. I want to jog everyday, but it is getting colder and colder (mainly in the 20-30's) and I don't want to harm my baby and make her sick! I am not sure if making sure she is extra-bundled would be sufficient. The stroller has a canopy that I can pull down to protect some from the wind, but I know that it won't be perfect protection.

I would be jogging 3.1 miles every day, FYI. For around a total of 30 minutes.

Any advice or input? I won't jog with my daughter if it would be bad for her, but if someone can offer a suggestion on how to be able to train and still protect her, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you...

Favorite Answer

You can get a rain canopy to put over the stroller that will protect her from the wind.

You can also get a beber stroller duvet to keep baby warm.

Here is a link to what one looks like.

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-baby-items-...

Get her a high quality 1 piece snowsuit and good hat, mitts and boots.

I live in Toronto and 30 minutes in the 20s or 30s is no problem.

I would be careful, especially on colder days. 20-30's is not very severe (I live in northern canada, and overnight tonight is going to be -10F, and it goes to -40Fovernight in January.

That aside, it is easy to get distracted when you are training, and concentrating on your performance. A few years ago in the Canadian Rockies, a guy had is baby in a pack on his back while he was cross country skiing. The baby froze to death, while he was skiing with his jacket undone, as he was exercising heavily. I would rethink your plan. Better safe than sorry. Besides, your baby is only a baby once.

Your baby will let you know if it's a problem, surely? If you go out and she's all smiles, keep jogging.

The only thing I'd worry about is making sure that her winter clothes are top-of-the-line.

I'm in Canada; I have no intention of being trapped in the house this winter, and was annoyed to have to do so much hunting to find genuinely warm winter baby stuff. Thin layers of polyester do not do for adult coats for serious cold, so why do people try to pass them off on babies? Very frustrating.

http://landsend.com/ has a real down baby snowsuit -- pretty nice, and http://novanatural.com/ has wool stuff for babies -- long johns, balaclavas. I have no idea why it was so hard for me to find a wool balaclava for a baby, but it was, and theirs is just the thing. Very soft. Loads of places have sheepskin booties for sale; hunt around and you can find fairly cheap ones.

NB: If you asked "Where I live, I have to mush fifteen minutes each way walking in the snow to get groceries. Will it be okay to bring my baby, or should I give up eating this winter?" everybody would rush to tell you that your baby would be absolutely fine...

it's a good stroller but it's your baby i would have her in the comfort of her own home let your husband go first you no take turns sacrifice for your daughter's health i won't risk it if you don't want her getting sick she's only 9 months have her home where she's warm and comfy ok

I wouldn't do it. If there is someone who can watch her while you train that's the route I'd take. Until the weather warms up considerably it's not good to have a little one out in it that long. Even if she is bundled up. I always say "better safe than sorry".

I think that your query definitely warrants a call to her doc's office and find out what they think. But, my first instinct would be not to have her out in that weather.

:)

Source(s): Mom of 5 kids ages 18, 12, 10, 5 and 2.5 months

I honestly wouldnt do it. I would be to concern for my childs health! especially with this crazy weather. Besides you may have a stroller that would protect her from the wind but what about just keeping her warm? you and I already know that when WE have clothes on WE still can get cold. So I definitely dont want to imagine a infant being ridiculously cold. Besides that, what if she or he caught pneumonia?

I honestly feel that you need to take out your WANTS and replace them with what your baby NEEDS. So please get a babysitter for your baby hun.

Source(s): I'm a mother of a 4yr old and I am currently 7mos pregnant now