My internal hard disk has only 40 mega bite left but loosing space every day .how can make free disk space?

my internal hard drive had 13 gig .now I have only 40 mega bite.

I am loosing space everyday, but I do not know where I am loosing space to. I have deleted four thousand email from my in box.still disk space has not increased. I have programs I have installed , all are useful I can not remove them from my Internal hard drive.

I have an external hard drive that has 80gig free space , How Can I transfer some of my programs.

4000 email I deleted from in box , where are they?

Favorite Answer

delete more C:

They're probably in a cache in your e-mail program's installation folder. If you use Outlook, you'll have to find that on your own. If you use Thunderbird, go to "C:/Documents and Settings/[your username]/Application Data/Thuderbird/Profiles/[random].default/Mail/Local Folders/Trash.sdb" and physically delete anything that's in there. Then go to your recycling bin and empty it. If you're using Outlook or some other e-mail client, it's probably still under the Application Data folder, and you'll just have to root around until you find the trash.

To fix the storage problem, you can connect a new, larger hard drive to your computer and install Windows on that drive as well (if you're using Apple or Linux, add on to your question and say so, and I'll give you instructions for those, because everything I've just said is for Windows). When the installation is complete, open up My Compute and open [Size of new disk](E:). Then, highlight everything, right-click, and click "Delete" (this will require Administrative privilages). After you've done this, go back to My Computer, right-click on "Local Disk (C:)", click "Copy", then right click on [Size of new disk](E:) and click "Paste". This will then copy for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour. Mind you, I've never done this, so I'm not 100% sure it'll work, if someone tells you something else that they're more sure of, go with that. But after you're done, you can shut down, remove your first hard drive, put the second hard drive in its place, and you should be able to boot up normally.

First off, email is extremely small in size so they are not your issue. Secondly, depending on the program you use, the emails are in your deleted items folder. If you use Outlook you may be able to recover deleted email. Use the help function of the program to figure that out.

If you have an 80 gig and 13 gig, they will appear as removable drives when you open up My Computer. Copy or cut the files that you wish to move, open the other drive up and then paste them into the desired location.

If your losing space it is because you are adding more files to the drive. If you are not adding more files then perhaps you have a virus that is replicating itself to make more wasted space. Run a virus scan.

You can gain space by dragmenting your c drive, but you will need to have at least 15% of your hard drive free. You can start by deleting your cookies and Temporary Internet Files. If you can transfer all music and picture files to your external storage, you may be able to knock it down enough to defrag, which will free up a bit more. Otherwise, you should just install a second hard drive. Your computer should have the necessary hardware already to plug in. You can pick up a 250 gig hdd for about sixty bucks.

When you delete mails from your in box,they go to the deleted folder. If you delete the contents of your deleted folder they are still stored in a folder called "identities"

I do not know what Operating system you are running,so I can't describe how to get to that folder. You could try running

"search" for the folder.

When you find and open the folder you will see a number of .dbx files,one of which will be called deleted items.dbx

That file will be quite large. Open it in Notepad or Word pad and choose "select all" from the Edit menu and then "Delete"

Save the changes and the files will disappear

I would strongly recommend that you then go off line,shut down any ant-virus progs and defragment your hard disk as 4000 mail files will leave a big hole.

One other way to find the "identities " folder is to open Outlook Express,click on "Tools" then "Options" click on the "Maintenance"tab and then click on the button labelled "Store folder" this will show the current path to the "identities" folder.

Hello:

Well chances are that you deleted the e-mail for nothing. If you have an account like at Yahoo or at Hotmail then all of that info is stored in their server and not on your computer.

Now I would guess what is happening with your computer is that through everyday use you are downloading temporary internet files that stay on your computer (youtube movies and such).

What I would say to try (if you haven't already) is to right click over your hard drive (under my computer) and then click on disk cleanup and see if this helps. This should at least cleanup some space if not solve the problem.

I would also say to turn on your computer for a day (or half day or whatever) and see if it eats memory on its own...or if its only while its in use (just in case). Also repeat, but disconnect the internet and see if that stops it.

If it is still losing drive space...maybe its spyware? I dunno but I would say its time to reformat your hard drive and start over.

I hope this helps

Rev Phil

There are prgrams that you can get to clean out your hard drive. Sometimes when you install programs or download stuff, you also get a bunch of unnecessary garbage put into your computer as well that takes up space. There are programs that will search and get rid of that stuff for you. Also try defragmenting your hard drive, clean out your cookies, cache, and temp Internet files, uninstall unwanted and unnecessary programs. If you download pics and music, burn them to CD and delete them from your computer, pics usually do not take up much space but music and video files do - especially if you have a lot of them. You should even get a spyware killer. Spyware, malware, and other junk like that puts crap on your computer, too. Hope this helps.

First off go and defragment your system. Then free up space on your hard drive. These all can be done from control panel on your system.

Follow these steps.

Control panel and open up Performance and maintenance window. Then you should be asked to pick a task and several should be listed. One will be Free up space on your hard drive. Click it and follow prompts, when asked if want delete offline content, check it also then hit ok button.

When this finished, click rearrange items on your hard drive or defragment system. Since it seems been awhile this step will take time so please be patient.

As for the e-mail, your e-mail is not on your server, but on your internet e-mail providers server such as Yahoo.

Source(s): I run a business from home and defrag my system every Sat. night.

To move the files, just drag and drop them. Now the other thing you need to ask yourself is when was the last time you ran a disk cleaning program? When was the last time you cleaned out your cookie jar? When was the last time you defragged your system? Do you have a virus protection program running?

It's the little things you don't do that makes you unhappy after you discover you should have done them to begin with.

Its probably your windows directory.

Here's a useful site on some useless folders that are notorious for eating your precious C: space.

http://www.marcofolio.net/tips/tips_to_shrink_the_...

As for moving programs, the only proper way to do that is to install since there are some registry entries that may need to be corrected and reinstall using custom options to point it to another drive.

But if you go through and clean out some windows temp folders suggested by the site you can probably regain a good 4 - 15 gigs.

• Eva

Turn off hibernation unless you actually use it. Run Windows Disk Cleanup and select to clean system files. Reduce the space allocated to System Restore Points, don't turn off completely. Install and run Ccleaner Check that you do not have Pictures/Documents/Videos on C: that could be on D: