Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

WHats average amount of word per minute that most peeps type?

all i know, is that i dont type the professional way (you know where your fingers are set on certain kes etc) but i can definitey go REALLY REALLY fast.

how many wpm should i put (its a job app) ????

Best Answer

Most experienced keyboard users can type an average of about 60 words a minute with no mistakes. I think 45 wpm is still pretty good. When I'm just typing whatever is in my head, I can go as quickly as 90 wpm, but it slows down when I have to type what someone else has written.

You can test your typing speed for free online. Several sites have typing tests so that you don't have to just make up a number (which would be a BAD idea if it isn't true - you could get fired if they find out you really cannot type as fast as you say you can - remember too, typing speed also accounts for ACCURACY)

Higher WPM is definitely better to put on a job application. In fact, according to one website, "The average workplace typist reaches about 50 to 60 words per minute. The average web surfer comes in at around 30 words per minute, at a peak."

60 wpm is a good goal to aim for. And it's OK that you don't use the "home row", I never liked it either. I chicken peck the keys, but I can still crank out over 70-80 wpm.

If you want to test your typing wpm, try the website I list in the sources.

Good luck!

you should try to put down an honest figure.

so see if there's an online typing test.

I took typing courses, and 45 wam is average. I can go up to 60 on a typewriter (that is so obsolete).

If you put down an inaccurate number, that is cause for dismissal, better to be straight forward and honest.

most companies will test your speed. so if you don't know just put not sure.

60

60

i'm 17 and 2 years ago in my 9th grade typing class i was doing about 80 words per minute average...my highest was 120 wpm

75 to 100 hundred used to be very fast in the days of manual keyboards and electric typewriters but I suspect that modern keyboards allow you to achieve faster times so it is probably closer to average for a well trained and well practiced person. Age doesn't really matter.

the fastest is 212 thats for a older ladie that was a secretary. most people that i have tested at my local highschool is at least 25. now in ca there is a state mandated test before you pass high school you have to be able to type 25. personally i type about 60. 3 years on a computer does that to you. i work on computers alot.

Im with you.

I have been taking keyboarding classes in school for who knows how long, and I still refuse to type the correct way.

My teacher says I am the fastest student she's ever had, so take that you MAVIS BEACON PRO'S!

Oh and by the way, I believe it's 60.

Find som text to type! Set a timer fore 4 minuts when the time is up divde how many words typed by 4!!