How do I fill an excel column with consecutive numbers without typing each one separately?

This might be an easy question for excel users, but I'm not familiar with excel. I typed in a book catalogue with the titles of books in column b, and left column A empty. Now I just want to enumerate the books in order from 1 to 500, with 1 being the first book, 2 the second, and so on. Can I do this with one... show more This might be an easy question for excel users, but I'm not familiar with excel. I typed in a book catalogue with the titles of books in column b, and left column A empty. Now I just want to enumerate the books in order from 1 to 500, with 1 being the first book, 2 the second, and so on. Can I do this with one function instead of typing 500 or more consecutive numbers, one after another?
Update: I think all these answers will be helpful thanks. No need for more instructions. It sure was a time saver, not having to read through my excel manual that explains the hard stuff but somehow doesn't think of the 'easy' stuff! ; )