Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Will cancelling bank account stop ACH payment without NSF fee?

I have two payees that want to hit my bank account for an ACH payments. The payments are in dispute where they say I owe them and I say that I do not. The payees had been previously authorized to make ACH withdrawals (on a schedule), so they are set to make a draw in two weeks.

If I cancel my bank account, the withdrawals will not happen, but will I risk having a NSF 'bad check' rap? I could issue a stop payment for these payees, but there are details that preclude me from doing that. I am in Ohio, and the payees are out of state, does that matter?

Thanks.

Best Answer

No. It'll make things worse. Notify your bank that the party tapping your bank account is no longer authorized to generate ACH payments.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If I cancel my...

Source(s): cancelling bank account stop ach payment nsf fee: https://tr.im/sFYZK
  • ostby

Ach Nsf Fee

NO! By cancelling an account you are agreeing that to the best of your knowledge all pre arranged debits and credits have been cancelled. The bank takes your word for this and removes the money from the account and you move on with it (if you open another account, change banks, or keep it under you mattress). However, should a credit/debit hit your account you are responsible for handling it. If your account is at zero and a debit comes through, then you are overdrawn.

If I were you I would let the bank know of the situation. That way after you prove yourself right, the bank will understand and refund your NSF Fees. I work at a bank and have situations such as this all the time.

Source(s): Financial Service Representative II SunTrust Bank. Atlanta, Georgia.
  • Danny

If the account is closed before the ach dings your account, you should not get an NSF fee. Your bank should also have a form to file a dispute against the company in question even if you had authorized them in the past.

Don't tell your bank anything, just cancel your account. If a company is automatically withdrawing money from your account all they have is a lien on this account which will cease once your account is closed. Give your bank and out of state forawrding address as if you are moving there or even contemplating moving there. Change your charge cards...ask them to canel old ones and issue you new ones with new numbers. Remove yourself from Public listed addresses...privatize your telephone number of better still disconnect your hard land line and just keep a cell phone with its number private. Good luck hope you win against these vultures.

This situation may differ by financial institution, but usually there WILL be a fee if checks/ACH payments come through a closed account. The items will more than likely not be paid, but a fee will be charged for the items being returned unpaid on a closed account.

This is one reason why I never use preauthorization on my bank accounts. The other reason is that if the withdrawer screws up, it takes an awful long time to get your money back.

The best thing is to talk to your bank and explain what is happening. Follow their advice.

Contact your bank to deauthorize the payees from making an ACH payment they should be able to help you.

Be prepared for Late notices etc. from the payees they will still want their money

Send your payees a letter stating that you feel you do not owe them anymore and to stop the draft of your account.

Talk to your bank.