Want upgrade to Video Card SHould i get ?

Want upgrade on Video Card SHould i get an GeForce 8800 GTS or a Geforce 8500 Gts and which is better a Geforce or Ati??

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Either the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS or ATI Radeon HD 3870 would be good so long as they're DirectX10 cards which you'll need for the latest 3D PC games. Each card has their own pros and cons and should last you for a few years until you decide to upgrade again. ATI Radeon HD 3870 is a PCI Express 2.0 card but I heard its backwards compatible and can be used with motherboards that have PCI Express x16 slots. However, I haven't bought ATI Radeon 3870 yet. When you do plan to buy a high end graphics card make sure you also get a good nambrand Power Supply Unit. Don't go cheap on the PSU otherwise it'll mess up your computer since those high end cards will need a lot of power juice. Check this forum on the best PSU to use for your gaming rig: http://www.techimo.com/forum/t124252.html It's updated regularly and they list the good namebrand PSU to get and the bad generic PSU to stay away from. This is also a PSU calculator that will let you know how much watts you'll need from your graphics card and other computer components in your gaming rig: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp It's something to consider when looking for a new PSU and a high end graphics card.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Go for 8800GT

the reason see below....

50% of the people who visit this forum want to know what the best card for the money is. Well, this thread is for those people, and is updated whenever a card can be commonly found in the price segment that takes the crown from the previously posted card.

Note the two sections: one for PCI-Express, and the second for the AGP bus:

Note that since this is now a monthly article on Tom's, I'm simply listing the recommended cards here - you can read the detailed explanation on the live article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/1 [...] index.html

BEST GAMING VIDEOCARDS FOR THE MONEY:

PCI-E video cards, November, 2007

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR UNDER $100:

Radeon 2600 PRO

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$100:TIE

Radeon 2600 XT

Geforce 8600 GT GDDR3

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$135:

Radeon X1950 PRO

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$180:

Radeon 3850

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$220:

Radeon 3870

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$290:

Geforce 8800 GT

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$300-$400: NONE

With the Geforce 8800 GT delivering near-8800 GTX performance, and usually beating the GTS 640MB, it's really hard to recommend either card for more money.

BEST PCI-E CARD FOR ~$450:TIE

2x Geforce 8800 GT in SLI configuration

2x Radeon 3870 in Crossfire configuration

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/03/best_graphi...

SUMMARY

So there you have it folks, these are the best cards for the money this month. Now all that's left is finding them in retail, and that part is up to you. They will almost certainly be cheapest online, but sometimes large retail outlets might surprise you with a good sale.

Don't worry too much about which brand you choose because all of the cards out there stick pretty close to Nvidia and Ati's reference. Just pay attention to price, warranty, and the manufacturer's reputation for honoring that warranty if something goes wrong.

Remember also that the stores don't follow this list, we follow them! Things will change over the month and you'll probably have to adapt your buying strategy to changing prices. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

8800 for games, otherwise 8500 is good enough

nvidia or ati? depends which ati card you are talking about

• chanda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you do no longer improve a video card, you purchase a clean one. The RAM question relies upon plenty on your working device, which you do no longer point out. uneven video additionally makes your information superhighway connection suspect. you may save your previous computer screen, keyboard, mouse, etc., and in simple terms get a clean "container" for a pair hundred greenbacks. Your issues would be solved. If that's no longer possible, start up with including RAM. What you will locate although, is older RAM is costly and you do no longer probably get the "bang" on your greenback. do no longer even evaluate PAYING somebody to try this artwork for you. the fee of aspects and exertions will exceed the "purchase a clean container for a pair hundred" thought reported previously. ideal of success to you. OH, I seek for suggestion from on the facet for individuals procuring computers. I construct them. i'm a gamer. I spend way too plenty money on my computing gadget that i'm continuously including to. I continuously have the quickest video card, RAM max'd out, quickest processor, and a committed 768k line to my homestead. I nonetheless get the occasional uneven sign from google, youtube, etc. you will in no way restore which will the equipment you own. the subject concerns there upward push up interior the WWW usually, issues your information superhighway provider provider, and fairly some cases from the source.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.