Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

How to start a restaurant business?

Okay me and my boyfriend really want to open up our own restaurant he would be the cook and id be the waitress. i love waitressing and he is an amazing cook. the problem is we have no money to get it started so what should we do??? start it out of our house or build our own place or what should we do??? how could we get the money to start it!!!! :) any advice is appreciated thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You could start a catering business although you will need to purchase the equipment necessary to transfer food too and from events.However, it's much less than starting a restaurant in full.

You can often times find a restaurant that will rent you their kitchen either during their down times or when they are closed to do your cooking and use some of the refrigerator space. Restaurants are HARD business. I ran my own for about 6 years and I was there everyday about 12-14 hours. The catering option will give you some more freedom and keep you out of being stuck in a restaurant all day long.

**Do not do what Tim said above and buy a failing business. It's harder to change a bad reputation of a food establishment than it is starting with no reputation at all. It's also extremely costly and there is a reason that business is doing poorly whether it's location, cleanliness, or whatever. Restaurants only thrive on reputation and word of mouth advertising. If your boyfriend has amazing cooking skills his food will get noticed with catering and eventually you guys could open your own restaurant. You'll allready have a solid client base to expand upon which is a huge benefit.

Source(s): ran my own restaurant for 6 years
  • Tim
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You can't start out of your house. If would never be approved by the health department.

You need to work and save the money. It takes alot of money to open a restaurant. The equipment is expensive, then you have start up inventory, etc. You have to hire a train people. You won't be able to rent a place without credit and some money in the bank.

Restaurants have the highest failure rate. Maybe you could find one that failed and take over the rent. It will still take some good credit and money.

• bayona
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

braveness is considerable using fact eating places have the optimal fee of failure of any corporation. Banks won't in many circumstances lend to human beings attempting to commence a eating place using fact the percentages of failure are surprising. you'll want alot of braveness for the reason which you in all risk will want your guy or woman money, a private investor, angel investor, or pay a very intense interest fee with the aid of a lender that makes a speciality of eating places. many of the eating places I see fail using fact suited from the beginning up the provider stinks. I in basic terms went to a grand beginning off of a eating place and had to watch for half-hour for my nutrition....uhhhh nicely guess what...they went out of corporation. sturdy high quality wholesome nutrition, sturdy provider, a menu that doesnt have a gazillion thoughts on it and not too costly, a sturdy topic, great area, exterior eating with a view, section the place human beings have disposable income and could arise with the money for to pass out to consume....in case you have all those issues you definately will make it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you need money, you will need to apply for a loan. No lender will talk to you unless you provide them with a valid business plan. Go to http://www.sba.gov/ , http://www.score.org/ or http://www.bplan.com/ for sample business plans and instructions on how to write a business plan.

Then, go to http://www.score.org/ and in the upper left hand corner, enter your zip code. On the next screen, you will get information on the nearest SCORE chapter. Call them and arrange for a free meeting with a SCORE counselor to review your business plan and discuss various loan options available to you.

SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to entrepreneur education and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

SCORE has 389 chapters in locations throughout the United States and its territories, with 10,500 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business counselors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"chik fil a" open a retusrant from thier franshise its a private company and only cost 5000 dollers to start compared to quarter of a million to start a mc'd or bk.o and they close on sunday check them out im not kidding its a great deal.

• 1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.