knife questions?

are butterfly knifes llegal in california?

what is an automatic knife

Favorite Answer

Butterfly knives are legal in California ONLY if the blade is less than 2" since they are considered to be "switchblades", aka automatic knives.

Automatic knives consist of spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever.

• randy

Yes they are. In california any knife that can be opened by a spring, a flipping of the wrist, gravity or other mechanical means falls onder section 653(k) of the california penal code and is illegal. An automatic knife is one that is opened by pushing a button to release the blade which is propelled by spring etc.

I have heard otherwise. Butterflies are not legal to own anywhere in the US and assisted opened knives are fine, but autos can only be owned (or should I say caught with) if you are police or other emergency personnel like EMTs and such. This comes from the army/navy surplus store I get my blades from. You can sell anything you want and you can buy anything you want. Just do not get caught with them I guess.