Amending United States Constitution?

US Constitution was adopted as supreme law of land in 1787. In 220 years, it has only been amended 27 times (correct me if I am mistaken).

My question: Under what circumstances might you favor amending the Constitution? (I personally think our founding fathers were brilliant in writing this document) but consider the changing world. As I understand, once amended, there is no removing since the amendment is written into the body of the Constitution itself.

Favorite Answer

I only favor changing the constitution to give the people more liberty further restrict the powers of government. It should NEVER be amended to restrict the rights of the People.

I support these changes:

repealing16th amendment that authorizes a Income tax (originally Outlawed in the constitution)

repeal of the 17th amendment that dictates all senators will be directly elected and no longer chosen by the states. (I think this is one of the reasons that the federal government is so powerful and states are becoming weaker today because no one has allegiance to the states, only to the masses.

• nevit

You are mostly correct. An ammendment, once ratified, cannot be "removed", but a new ammendment can be introduced that "undoes" a previous ammendment. For example, the 18th ammenment, ratified in 1919, abolished liquor in the entire country. The 21st ammendment, ratified in 1933, reversed the 18th ammendment.

What ammendments might be made in the future can be a fascinating discussion, especially when conducted among intelligent people with open, but realistic minds.

Where I think there could be some meaningful changes today would be in the area of terms of service for various elected officials. I think it would benefit the country if the presidential term was limited to one 6 year term with the understanding that the person could run again to be re-elected after someone else had served after him or her. In other words someone could be president two or even three terms, but never two in a row. this would allow a president to learn the job, and then devote 5 plus years to doing the job without having to worry about getting re-elected. We would get a lot more out of the president that way. The other change I would suggest is with regards to the terms of congress. They have to be re-elected every other year. Think about that. A new person gets elected. It takes them the better part of a year to even learn the job. Then they spend the second year running for re-election. They do that every other year, so basically, we get one year of work out of every two years a congressman or woman is in elected office. Change theirs to the same 6 years as the senators, we would be way better off.

You can amend an amendment.

I would have to say, I do not favor any amendments to the constitution, since the 27th has to deal with congress getting a fatty check increase every year to meet inflation. Makes me sick.

Note: Cobra, the amendments are never removed, just lined out and edited by another amendment.

1) it takes an act of congress to remove an amendment (see prohibition).

Currently most of the things floating out there consititutiion wise are "difinitives" or slight changes in wording (gay marriage, abortion etc..) so I am sort of meh.. on those till I see the wording.

One I would like to see however in a digital age is the right to identity. I think this one needs to be added since all our freedoms are based on it. There are to many bussinesses, organizations and persons who act in our behalf and as a right to personal identity insues a right to privacy this is out last best hope to safe guard the status of the individual. I belive for a man to be created with the right to be free and speak free he must first be sacrocant in his personhood so man may take that away (maybe add or conjoin to the prohibtion of slavery amendment?).

The amendment prohibiting the manufacture, sale, and use of alcohol as a beverage was both passed and later repealed.

However, to repeal an amendment once it is there is extremely difficult.

As time, technology, morals, and the structure of our economy versus the rest of the world changes, we should consider changing the constitution with amendments. And it has.

• Pi

Most politicians today are more adept at swaying gullible masses than interpreting the Constitution--now what particular amendment would you like to add?

Oh let me guess, one that favors your particular interest over many others?

Reforming

I don't hold with it at all. I don't like folks tampering with the writ that ensures my freedom.

not true it can be removed, by the same process that made it possible....