Is it true that a UK Woman - Captured by Taliban - Converts to Muslim?

I heard that after being held prisoner - she was allowed to leave provided she would do one thing: Read the Quran with an open mind. and she did.

?

Update:

Am told she converted after she was released, and still claims to be a muslim, may be a UK reporter.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

yes. she was held captive and yes, she read the Quran. she was realeased. she converted..no pressure from Taliban.

• 1 decade ago

Yes it is - I seen an interview with her on TV recently and she said that while she had to read the Quran while she was captured it wasn't until she came home that she started the conversion process - it was a choice she made, I believe it was a result of the love and support that British Muslim community showed her when she returned (but dont quote me on that!)

• Not a very noble conversion though, at all. She went in to try and free christian missionary ladies, who were being threatened with death because they had dared try to convert people to a religion other than Islam. She read the Quran to try and get on with her captors. Surely the noble response would have been to admire the ladies risking their lives to help people believe Christ's message, and not to have adopted the beliefs of those who thought murdering the missionaries was 'good'.

• 1 decade ago

Salam

You can just search about Yvonne Ridley and there are a lot of results.

http://www.google.com.sa/search?sourceid=navclient...

She actually went back to Afghanistan with her daughter and saw some of her former captors at large even after the fall of the Taliban.

There are a lot more stories of people from all walks of life reverting to Islam.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's the Stockholm Syndrome...when a captor begins to side with the captor and gives up their own will. Meaningless, a survival mechanism. Given a choice between gang rape, mutilation and torture/murder or conversion they must get a LOT of converts!

• 1 decade ago

yes its true. The media down played it cuz of obvious reasons

• 1 decade ago

Probably the result of prolonged torture or a closed-head injury.

Why else would she join the fools and idiots?

• 1 decade ago

may be i didnt heard about that islam is so loving and peace religion it is most fastest growing religion in the world.

• 1 decade ago

I'd convert to any religion you like if you're holding a gun to my head!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.