Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did Joseph Smith (Mormonism’s Founder) really shoot people, killing some, while he was in jail?

are these statements true?

"...[Joseph Smith] PULLING THE SIX-SHOOTER left by Brother Wheelock from his pocket…”(History of the Church V-7, p.102-103)

“…[ Joseph Smith] opened the door slightly and SNAPPED THE PISTOL SIX SUCCESSIVE TIMES; only three barrels, however, were discharged…”(History of the Church V-7, p.102-103)

“…I afterwards understood that two or three were wounded by these discharges, TWO OF WHOM, I AM INFORMED DIED." (History of the Church V-7, p.102-103)

Favorite Answer

Wait a minute! Wasn't a mob storming the place where he was being held? Isn't that self-defense? Seems more than justified to me. The haters will always find an excuse to attack the faith of others.

Plus, the ignorance of people like silverfoxx is just breathtaking. Joseph Smith had already been killed long before Mountain Meadows!

I think like many things in life and history we'll never know the whole story

The Mainstream LDS Church has it "Official version" and it clear it worded to make the him and the church have the best light

The anti - LDS people have a clear agenda as well. so they might be just as bias. Many in this camp have issues with the Church, some are justified, but other are not by a long shot

So I think the truth like most thing lies some were in the middle of both extremes

Yes they're true, but as I told you yesterday it's wrong of you 2 post 3 sentences from PAGES of the account.

Joseph was about to be released from jail because there was no evidence Joseph broke any laws. When the townspeople heard that 100-200 men with their faces painted stormed the jail in an attempt to kill Joseph and his friends.

Joseph did not start the incident and he was forced to protect himself.

Those quotes appear to be a losers final plight from an angry mob. He was obviously out gunned.

Why were the people mad? Joseph Smith had just announced his candidacy for president of the U.S., so some disgruntled defectors started a newspaper called THE NAVOO EXPOSITOR that portrayed Smith as a common fornicator and shyster. Smith's malita destroyed their printing facilitits after the first issue, and that led to his incarceration.

While campaigning, Smith shouted: "I'll be the next Muhammad!" Yes he might have been, because Muhammad was a false prophet, too. see www.revelado.org/islam.htm

Shalom, peace in Jesus, Ben Yeshua

Source(s): Thanks, Tony, for the historical quotes. As for the "next Muhammad" statement, I dug it out of the college library when writing a term paper on Mormonism 20 years ago.

Hey.. Joseph Smith shot a few poeple, right before they BLEW HIM AWAY!!! Hallelujah!! They should have shot Brigham Young while they were at it and we'd be having these discussions with the RLDS.. lol

Source(s): See the info at: http://ezek27.truepath.com
  • Geri42

Yes, this is true. Joseph Smith was a violent man. Another time when he was responsible for killing people was during the Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857. To read about that incident do a search on Mountain Meadows Massacre. Some of my family were killed during that massacre. It was the senseless, heinous murder of men, women and children. Parents were bludgeoned to death right in front of their children. And it was all sanctioned and approved by Joseph Smith and the Mormon leadership of that time.

You are quoting PARTIAL statements. Joseph didn't kill anybody!

• I heard he got shot (Police (even at that time confiscates ALL weapons

joshep smith was no more than a adluter. and was about to be hung as well his brother to for many things he was no more than a dreamer of dreams look at september_dawn medows mountan messacers/ many killed by there paid assins and you call him a person called by god not so the devels tool . my opion?

Man, that Joseph Smith was a real low life.