Legal question?

My friend is going to court for child abandonment/endangerment (in the state of Texas) because she left her 8 year old son alone for 30 minutes at their house, while she was driving to work. The plan was, was that while my friend was at work, the boy's grandmother was going to watch the boy for the day. The only problem with this setting was that both the grandmother and the mother works, so while the mother (my friend) was on her way to work, the grandmother was on her way home, so there is a 30 minute period where the boy is by himself. A plains clothed detective came to the house looking for my friend's brother (he had a warrant for his arrest) and the 8 year old answered the door, and let the detective know he was home alone. The detective contacted my friend at her job (the grandmother was already at the house) and arrested her when she got home. My question is, what are the legal laws in Texas regarding to abandonment/endangerment? Can you go to jail for that? And for how long?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    When children are not adequately supervised, it may be considered “neglectful supervision”, which means placing a child in or failing to remove a child from a situation that a reasonable person would realize requires judgment or actions beyond the child's level of maturity, physical condition or mental abilities and that results in bodily injury or substantial risk of immediate harm to the child.

    Contrary to a previous answer, Texas has no law that defines a specific age at which a child may be left home alone.

    A conviction for neglecting a child may result in jail time. However, it's impossible to say in the abstract whether your friend will get jail time or for how long. She really needs to consult with an attorney. The attorney will be able to flesh out the facts of the case directly from your friend (as opposed to relying on hearsay from you) and provide her more focused guidance.

    More information can be found on the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) website.

    Source(s): I'm an attorney licensed in Texas.
  • 1 decade ago

    You are not likely to do jail time, What the courts are going to decide is if the mother is going to be able to keep her kid or if thy are going to give the child to cps (Child Protective Services) The Thing to do is get an attorney as soon as possible. Probably a Family Attorney. If you want to find a good / Christian Attorney then i suggest that you look in the Shepard's Guide (It is like a phone-book/directory of Christian peoples) also on line @

  • 1 decade ago

    That is so stupid! But a child cannot be left alone until they reach age 12 and you can go to jail but be bonded out. The most they will do in court is probation and a fine...

  • 1 decade ago

    she'll proably have to go to court, but under the circumstances i see no jail time.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    i dunno sorry but no harm come to the boy i think she should get a warning

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.