What is a good book i can read having to do w/ U.S. History......?

i have an extra-credit assignment where i have to read a book and write a paper on it.....but i really do not know which book would be a good one to read.....i want something interesting that is not dry.....here's a list that my teacher gave me, there are just so many.....: 1876 by Gore Vidal A Century of... show more i have an extra-credit assignment where i have to read a book and write a paper on it.....but i really do not know which book would be a good one to read.....i want something interesting that is not dry.....here's a list that my teacher gave me, there are just so many.....:

1876 by Gore Vidal
A Century of Dishonor by H. H. Jackson
A Different Mirror by R. Takaki
A History of American Law, 2d ed. Author(s): Lawrence Friedman
A History of the American People by Paul Johnson
A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic by John Ferling
A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo
A Short History of American Freedom by Eric Foner
A Short History of Reconstruction by Eric Foner
Accumulation and Power : An Economic History of the United States by Richard du Boff, M.E. Sharpe
After the Facts: The Art of Historical Detection by Davidson & Lytle
Age of Reform by Richard Hofstadter
All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Robert Woodward
--continued....
Update: America in the Twentieth Century: A History, 5th ed. Author(s): James T. Patterson from Brown University America’s Longest War: The United States and Vietnam 1950-1975 by George C. Hierring American Colonies by Alan Taylor American Ordeal - Antiwar Movement of Vietnam by Charles Debenedetti American Slavery... show more America in the Twentieth Century: A History, 5th ed. Author(s): James T. Patterson from Brown University
America’s Longest War: The United States and Vietnam 1950-1975 by George C. Hierring
American Colonies by Alan Taylor
American Ordeal - Antiwar Movement of Vietnam by Charles Debenedetti
American Slavery by Peter Kolchin
American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund S. Morgan
American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by JOSEPH J. ELLIS
American's At War by Stephen Ambrose
Americans at War by Stephen E. Ambrose
America's Longest War, 4th ed. Author(s): George Herring
An American Dilemma by G. Myrdal
An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution by C. & M. Beard
An Unfinished Life: JFK by R. Dallek
Andrew Carnegie – Autobiography
Andrew Jackson Author(s): Robert Remini
Andrew Jackson: The Course of American Freedom: 1822-1832 by Robert Rimini

Angel in the Whirlwind by Benson Bobrick
Update 2: Approaches to Teaching "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass” Author(s): James C. Hall, ed. Autobiography of Malcolm X by MALCOLM X Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley and Malcolm X Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to... show more Approaches to Teaching "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass” Author(s): James C. Hall, ed.
Autobiography of Malcolm X by MALCOLM X
Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley and Malcolm X
Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest by Stephen E. Ambrose
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
Benjamin Franklin – Autobiography
Benjamin Franklin: An American Life Author(s): Walter Isaacson
Black Boy by Richard Wright
BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY by Ron Kovic
Brown v. Board of Education: A Civil Rights Milestone and Its Troubled Legacy Author(s): James Patterson
Burr by Gore Vidal
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
Chants Democratic by Sean Wilentz
Cherished Myths Legends, & Lies of American History by R. Shenckman
Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose
Conduct Unbecoming a Woman: Medicine on Trial in Turn-of-the-Century Brooklyn by Regina Morantz-Sanchez
Confession
Update 3: and so on.....there is a huge list....but i just do not know which one i should read....any ideas....?
Update 4: yeh i know that the list is not complete.....but i did not feel like filling this whole page up so that you guys would have to scroll forever.....lol...but yeh....some good answers so far....! :)
7 answers 7