How many pounds of coal is burned to produce one KWH of electricity?

(Approxomation fine). Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

The electricity generated per ton of coal = 2,460 kWh/ton.

And 1 ton = 2000 pounds.

So 1 kWh requires 1/2460 = .000407 tons of coal

2000 pounds/ton * .000407 tons = 0.813 pounds

It takes 0.813 pounds (less than 1 pound) of coal to produce 1 kWh of electricity.

• Kelly

No. I am sorry but people who say things like you just get on my nerves, so if I become insulting, it's not your fault. It's your ignorance's fault. 1. MOST IMPORTANT!!! Electric vehicles (hybrid or pure) are recharged at NIGHT! At night power plants "idle" because it's cheaper and easier than shutting down for a few hours. Therefore EVs USE ENERGY THAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE WASTED. 2. Electric vehicles are more efficient than gasoline vehicles, due to the fact that they partially recharge when decreasing speed. 3. Electricity is never produced 100% from coal (at least not in developed countries). There is usually at least 5% percent of renewables. In many cases there are huge ammounts of electricity produced through hydro (60% of all electricity in Canada, 7.1% in the USA+2.4% other renewables). P.S. Nuclear energy is not renewable, and emmits more co2 than a natural gas power plant, due to mining, transporting and disposal of uranium. Plus the nuclear waste is a terrible thing to leave behind. Greenpeace opposes nuclear for a reason. 4. Power plants experience "efficiency of scale". Look it up. 5. Heat power generating plants can be made more efficient than internal combustion engines, as said power generating plants use up heat, while internal combustion engines leave the heat to escape. And yes it takes 7 pounds of coal to startup a supercomputer. They eat up energy like Homer Simpson eats donuts. (yes I know the difference between what I said and what he said)