Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

What thoughts cross your mind when you see a family with 4 or more young children?

I was in the grocery store last week and saw a mom with 6 kids, ages 1 to about 10, I grew up in a large family of 6 as well. My thoughts though tended to be along the lines of how hard it must be to feed 6 kids at todays prices.

Favorite Answer

I have 5 siblings so I always smile when I see a big family. I know how challenging it is to raise that many children (I am the oldest), and I admire the parents.

It's expensive to raise that many children and it can be very stressful at times (especially when so many people feel the need to express their opinion about how many children people should have within earshot).

First I just want to say that i am sorry you are having to go through this! This is a tough situation seeing how this pregnancy is unplanned. But putting all that aside the point is that your girlfriend is pregnant and you are going to be a dad. I am not going to lecture you on safe sex practices because from what you have said you already know what they are. Regardless if she did get pregnant on purpose or not you still have a baby on the way. Telling your family will be tough but I say you sit them down and just say it. They might be upset for a while but usually after the dust settles they will accept it. You can still finish school.Having a child and going to school cant be stress full but people do it all the time. I do! You just have to set your priorities right. I hope that your family is supportive of you and can help you. Good luck! I hope that everything works out for the best!

• I always think that I can't wait to have lots of kids. I am the oldest of 4. I have a twin sister a couple of minutes younger and then two younger brothers. It was never really hard with my family. I do remember some money problems, when my dad was in a sever car accident and lost his job, and then we lost our house in a hurricane. But other than that, I loved having 3 siblings. I always wished I had more. I have always wanted to have a big family. At the least six kids. Hopefully God will bless me with that many. God just blessed me with my first, a precious baby girl on December 22nd, 2007. I love being a mother, there aren't any words that could describe the feeling.

I work with someone who is pregnant with her second set of twins. Her oldest kids, who are twins, will be about 2 and a half when the babies are born. I have two daughters(4 and 19 months) and they are a handful, but I really want another and I have a feeling I might be getting that wish granted soon! I grew up in a large family also.

We live in an area where there are some very religious families who do not believe in birth control. It is not unusual to see families with 12 or more children. When I first saw it, I was shocked because it must be a tremendous amount of work. My next thought was how blessed they are to have so many beautiful, healthy children who will be raised to respect their parents and God. My final thought is Thank God that is not me.

Source(s): mother of 4 (small family by those standards)
  • Paulus

My thoughts would be that maybe some of them were twins or triplets. I say the show Deal or No Deal last night, and one of the contestants had quints. Luckily she won over 100,000 dollars and the Johnson & Johnson Company gave her a scholarship for her childen and a huge sleigh full of their products. She displayed a lot of love for her children and she and her husband seemed very happy with their family. Unfortunately, all families aren't that lucky. In an ideal world, all children would be wanted and loved, but we know that doesn't happen.

I think it's great that people have big families, especially when they are well behaved and well cared for.

Having raised two children and paying for all their college education, I wonder how any family could possibily afford the escalating costs of a university education for a herd of children! A college education is nearly mandatory in our increasingly competitive world and scholarship dollars can't be counted on.

I wonder if they are on benefits when they are some people who just keep knocking out to kids to get more money off the state (in the UK).

But I admire the ones that they show in the newspapers at this time of year with over 10 kids and the parents work and don't ponce of the state.

They always look clean and happy families and I think that's nice.

The scroungers who have never worked a day in their lives and keep having kids and demand bigger council houses and more money really get me mad.

That is what I think also, it must be expensive.

But it is nice seeing big families, most people don't have more then 2-3 kids.

I would think, of course depending on the family, what a lovely family. If they seem like good people, I would be fine with it. It bothers me when people have kid after kid just for the benefits. I would also think what fun! God Bless them.