We paid a $250 deposit to rent a house, the landlord knew we had 2 big dogs and didn't charge a pet deposit,

The landlord looked at the house once we had our stuff out and the carpet was dirty and had a couple pulls in it from the dogs and had us post date a check to her for $500 to replace the carpet. Is this legal? She knew we had the dogs so she should have charged a pet deposit when we moved in or a higher security... show more The landlord looked at the house once we had our stuff out and the carpet was dirty and had a couple pulls in it from the dogs and had us post date a check to her for $500 to replace the carpet. Is this legal? She knew we had the dogs so she should have charged a pet deposit when we moved in or a higher security deposit. We had to put down a $625 security deposit and $200 pet deposit for our new place, that's why you put it down before you move in right? It's like now she's trying to get us to pay back deposit or something because she made the mistake of not making us put the money down when we signed the lease. She uses the excuse that she had just had surgery right before we moved in and wasn't herself because she was on pain meds and she would have never let those big dogs in that house. I'm ready to put a stop payment on the check, but want to make sure she's not right before I do so.
Update: There was only carpeting in the living room, a very small area and my husband even offered to install the new carpet, but she turned down the offer.
12 answers 12