Cindy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What are Scottish Terriers like?

Are they good with kids?

Am I glad I asked!!! I guess I'll just have to admire them when I see them out. Too bad...their so darn cute =)

Favorite Answer

Most terriers are not good with children. In particular, the short terriers, including Scotties, Cairns, and Westies, are not good with children. Terriers were bred to be bold, a little aggressive (as they had to hunt and kill vermin), independent, and fearless. As such, they often become nippy or even aggressive towards children, particularly if the child is young and doesn't know how to play gently. They are also difficult to train because they are so stubborn. For adults who have the time to dedicate to them, they can be fun-loving pets, but for any family with children, they just are not a practical choice.

Source(s): Professional Groomer
  • TKS

I'm afraid I've met some aggressive ones. They are definitely active, stubborn, and all Terrier. Be very careful that you check in to the parents personalities and socialize you puppy very well if you get one. Obedience class is also a great idea. Having said that they aren't bad dogs, they can be wonderful for the right person.

they are adorable, but they don't mess around. terriers are very strong minded dogs and don't take a lot of crap. not a fun dog for kids.