Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

I'm buying my first car and I need HELP!?

Ok, well, I have the choice between a silver 1999 Chrysler LHS or a silver 2000 Dodge Intrepid. Some things you might want to know:

-They are within 100 miles of each other.

-Both have V6's.

-Neither have any rust.

-Both have remote start.

-The LHS has leather interior.

So which one would you choose if you had too? Please don't base your desicion on which car manufacturer you like best. I know it'll be hard without seeing pictures, but I am so clueless! My parents want me to do research and make a decision for myself. I know NOTHING about cars! So, if you know anything important about either of these cars (like MPG) and you'd like to throw that in with your answer, I'd be very greatful! Thanks and happy holidays!

You're not insulting me Firebird...I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about cars...I appreciate the honesty.

Best Answer

I highly recommend the LHS because the Intrepid has a horrible reputation for bad engines that fail at around 60,000 miles due to a defect with how the oil moves around the engine thus causing oil sludge (which is where the oil gets clogged up and also gets cooked in the oil passages due to the heat that the engine is producing). I heard that a lot of Intrepid's got sold but the majority of them also eventually have transmission problems. The 3.5 Liter in the LHS on the other hand is one of the industries best engines! it (the 3.5 L engine) has won one of the car magazines (I don't remember which one) 10 best engine awards a few times. I hope this helps.

Happy new year!

Source(s): Check out www.daimlerchryslerengineproblems.com for info on the engine failures on Intrepids

The manufacturer is the same.

The LHS is a very fine car. I've had 4, and so I like them. They get good gas mileage for that size car, but they're exactly the same size, so the mileage would be the same if they were both 3.5's. The intrepid will be just as good a performer as the LHS if it's a 3.5. Don't take the intrepid if it's a 2.7L engine. They're not very reliable.

P.S. I don't want to insult your intelligence, but I'll just throw this out. These cars are the same car under the skin. They're exactly the same in size, and the whole chassis is the same. I realized because of your comment about "manufacturer" that you might not realize they're the same thing.

Okay I will not base my answer on what manufacturers I prefer but don't be shocked if others do lol. What you need to do is go to your local book store and buy a copy of Consumer Reports Guide to New and Used Cars and Trucks. In this book, you will find everything you need to know about these two cars including all factory recalls- this is very important info you need to know before your purchase. After you and your parents read this fine publication, you will be looking for a much better, safer, as well as far more reliable car ("cough-toyota-cough") to own as your first vehicle. And with that, I wish you a very Merry Christmas as well as many many years of happy motoring. Take care!

Source(s): vehicle sales advisor, locator service and collector.

Since they are basically the same car, I would prefer you look for maintenance histories to see the care taken of them in the past, such as regular oil changes, brake jobs, etc. Keep in mind that an owner that keeps good records will usually be more meticulous. Also, run title checks and look for prior accident history and locations the cars have been owned in for concealed weather related damages.