tea kwon do...just..tell me about it please.(like experience)?

good, bad, and what not.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tae Kwon Do - loosely translated, means the Way of the Hand and Foot. It would appear that those who roundly critisize TKD as ineffective, even dangerous to use, fail to understand the art in its fullness.

Tae Kwon Do is the name for the martial art General Choi Hong Hi developed using elements of the ancient Korean martial art of Taek Kyon and of Shotokan karate, a martial art he had learned while studying in Japan. Like many Martial Arts in existence today, it utilizes techniques from numerous ancient forms to teach the student how to fight effectively. Even Jeen Kune Do, which is more of a philosophy of fighting than a particular style, uses techniques from many different styles.

It is important to delineate between the sporting aspects of TKD and the martial and philosophical aspects. TKD has become extremely popular in its relatively short lifespan, and to some extent, has been highly commercialized. The WTF (World Tae Kwon Do Federation) is the ruling body of TKD in Korea, where WTF stlye TKD is the national sport of Korea. THe Kukkikwon, There philosophy is decidely sport-oriented, and this is the style of TKD that you see in Olympic competition. This fact alone - that the IOC has deemed TKD a relevant enough sport to be considered an Olympic event - is indicative of its overall popularity and effectiveness. You will do well to note that TKD competitions pit one TKD practitioner against another.

The ITF (International Tae Kwon Do Federation) is the governing body for the more traditional style of TKD. Due to differences in training philosophy, leadership style, and some issues of overall direction, there are currently three international headquarters for the ITF: One in Canada, and two in Vienna, Austria. ITF TKD teaches the art as it was created by General Choi.

The differences between WTF and ITF not withstanding, Tae Kwon Do, if taught correctly, is as effective as any other martial art in a confrontation. A well instructed practitioner, that being one who understands not only the application of the art, but the philosophy (the WAY) behind it, will be effective in defending themselves against an untrained attacker. Against a trained attacker, the skill of each would dictate the outcome. The old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" has much to do with this: trying to beat somone at thier own game, unless you are as skilled in the same game, will usually result in you losing the confrontation, whatever it is.

Tae Kwon Do is more than just high kicks and flashy flying kicks, although I would not want to be on the receiving end of a well-timed and properly executed reverse turning kick or a spinning crecent kick, because the speed and power inherent in those particular kicks can be devestating. but as I said, TKD is much more than that. Good schools teach box throws, hip throws, reaps, leg sweeps, joint locks and manipulations, pressure point releases, etc. Remember ther translation? Tae, meaning to hit or destroy with the foot, and Kwon meaning to hit or smash with the fist. And DO, meaning Way or Path While TKD emphasizes the use of kicks, there is a reason for this: range and strength. Against and unknowing attacker, a swift front snap kick (which can be targeted at ANY part of the body, not just the head), will reach the opponent faster and with more force than throwing a punch. Not to mention that being able to use all four limbs to attack give you two more options than the average attacker.

Tae Kwon Do as a fighting style is as effective as any other, and proper instruction will give the student the confidence to know they can defend themselves if necessary. Tae Kwon Do as a philosophy will benefit the student mentally, by giving them a way of life to live and espouse. The tenets of Tae Kwon Do - Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit - are as pertinent in everyday life as they are in the Dojang.

Three good articles from wikipedia can be found here:

Tae Kwon do general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tae_Kwon_Do

WTF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Taekwondo_Feder...

ITF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Taekwon...

Source(s): 20 year military veteran, ITF practitioner, previous study in Kenpo, Tai Chi, and Wing Chun
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Tea kwon do in a nutshell. It takes a lot of dedication to learn the techniques and a lot of skill to execute them properly. It looks great when you watch it, especially with the focus being on those flashy style kicks. Unfortunately many of the kicks are not practical for use in a real fight. It is generally not considered to be as effective as other arts when used for self defense.

I'm not going to advocate which martial art anyone should learn, because people choose to learn an art for different reasons. Some learn to better defend themselves, some learn to compete in tournaments, some learn simply to get into and stay in shape. I would suggest doing some research on different types of martial arts to get a better understanding of the common techniques from each.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i do hapkido and ultimate fighting arts and personly dont like tea kwon do because of its range. in tea kwon do you mainly learn to kick so you only have a long range and once some one gets inside your guard and in close range you can no longer effetivly kick them and they will rip you apart with their hands or what ever techniqes.

really the day that tea kwon do beats bjj or an allround style is the day ill give up my belt.

on the other hand its great when you use it with another style

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

tea kwon do was designed to repel attack from samurai like horsemen of korea and so uses very high kicks and a large amount of bodily force. it is very enjoyable and fun and despite comments i have read its very effective. in my opinion there are much better but that is down to personal style i geuss. in my training i have trained with a grandmaster from korea who was 93 and looked about 40 he was increadible. i did find it enjoyable and was fairly easy to learn and if you are thinking of a martial art and you like excersize then its a great place to start. i would however personally recomend aikido or kung fu over tae kwon do

Source(s): me aikido 1st dan black belt hapkido black belt karate black belt tae kwondo black belt kung fu black belt
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have a 4th Dan (degree) Black Belt in Chung Do Kwan - the original 'style' of modern Taekwondo. I love my training very much. If you would like to ask some more specific questions, feel free to write.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't learn TKD if you want to learn how to fight.

Period.

like the guy above me said, it focuses only on feet. High kicks are absoluetly useless. They can be blocked very easily and are hard to pull off properly. Whereas low kicks, well , everyone knows how to do that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

TKD is alright, depending on what you want to get from it. For showing off and learning fun techniques like the flying side-kick, or a few jumping spin kicks, TKD is good for that.

For self-defense...well, some forms of TKD are better than others. ITF taekwondo is more similar to karate...we used alot of hand strikes in the ITF classes I went to. WTF taekwondo --well, unless you remember to keep your hands up, it's not that great for self-defense. The hard contact sparring is okay for getting used to getting hit, though (even with chest protectors on, getting kicked by big guys still hurts! lol)

...And don't even bother with ATA taekwondo...their "black belts" are so pathetic that they make other TKD styles' white belts look like grandmasters. lol (don't believe me? check out the video of an ATA black belt test on youtube. Even the person who posted it--one of the ones in the video--admited they sucked)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it's good but a little unorthodox because it uses more leg techniques than arms. it does have arm techniques unlike the stereotypically type. goood for coordination and streching, wont give you massive muscle but will tone your whole body.

take it up it will ive you better defence than an average street punk

• 1 decade ago

its good because you learn to tretch and cordination but its not as efective in a fight as say boxing or ju jitsu. Ive never seen a kwon do guy win a fight against ..... anyone really.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

TKD is a great martial art!

just pick a great school... and u will be great!

bad school= bad student

the school has everything to do with the owner... THE GRANDMASTER

Source(s): Blackbelt of martial arts
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.