Is this scissorlock?

Yesterday I woke up and I couldn't move any part of my body. I put all my effort into moving my arms, it it took me a couple of minutes to break out of it, eventually I went back to sleep and the same incident happend to me 2 times more. I'm a Christian, and I've heard of stories like this. I'm not to sure if this was scissorlock or not, but it is making me a bit paranoid. Would anyone explain this to me in more detail>?

Favorite Answer

It does sound a bit like a kind of sleep paralysis, caused by the brain being awake but the body not getting the signals to move again.

Basically the brain sends out a signal once we hit REM sleep that locks up our body so that we don't thrash around in our dreams. Sometimes that signal doesn't get to it's destination (sleepwalking, etc.) This is usually counteracted when we break out of REM sleep, whether to turn over to get more comfortable or to wake up fully.

There are times, tho, when this signal doesn't get counteracted or takes time to do so.

Go see a doctor.

Never heard it called "scissorlock." I've always heard it called "Old Hag."

Tradition teaches that it's caused by spirits feeding off of your soul. More modern belief is that it's caused by living people that are feeding off for your spirit (spiritual vampires, if you will).

However, the scientific and medical communities believe that it is a phenomenon that is caused by the brain during sleep. The brain temporarily paralyzes the body so that it doesn't act out during REM state and dreams.

The process isn't always perfect however. Sometimes the paralysis doesn't take at all (hence, sleepwalking). Sometimes the person wakes up before the paralysis is over, which is what you're experiencing.

"Sleep paralysis, although not an uncommon phenomenon, is generally not well understood. Many people have sort explanations for the cause of this sometimes ‘frightening’ experience, but have been ultimately frustrated in their endeavours. Research on a range of psychic phenomena; however, suggest that in many cases, episodes of sleep paralysis are related to the out-of-body experience (OBE or astral projection).

Sleep paralysis refers to the sensation of being unable to perform voluntary movements either at the onset of sleep (during what is known as the hypnogogic state) or upon awakening (during the hypnopompic state). Although many people have the feeling that the paralysis lasts an unbearably long time, in reality, these experiences are generally no longer than a few seconds’ duration.

Individuals who have reported experiencing sleep paralysis commonly describe being fearful of the condition. The phenomenon, however, is harmless and can have no effect on one’s health. The only potentially negative repercussion is the psychological impact that may result from ignorance of the actual processes related to this experience."

--Sleep Paralysis and its Causes By Nanci Trivellato and Sandie Gustus

I have never heard of scissorlock before, but I have heard of sleep paralysis and it is almost always related to astral projection....(I have provided you with the link to the rest of the article)

I get this at least once or twice a month.

It's scary isn't it? I'm a religious person, but I really think it has to do with our health, not some kind of demon trying to sit on our faces.

If this still does continue often, seek medical attention.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is this scissorlock?

Yesterday I woke up and I couldn't move any part of my body. I put all my effort into moving my arms, it it took me a couple of minutes to break out of it, eventually I went back to sleep and the same incident happend to me 2 times more. I'm a Christian, and I've heard of stories like...

Source(s): scissorlock: https://shortly.im/5mUG1

Scissor Lock

Ive had that before, It happens because when we sleep we have a mechanism in our body that goes off while you are asleep to stop you from acting out your dreams.

So sometimes you reach a level of conscienceness (sp?) while still sleeping and so the mechanism is still acting like your still sleeping giving off the impression you are paralized.

It's called sleep paralysis. I've had it happen to me, and it has nothing to do with whatever religion you might be. I'm an atheist.

I sometimes wake up and can't move or feel my left arm. After a few seconds, maybe a minute or two, its fine. Its weird though.

Its edward scissorhands sitting on you.