The use of profanity?

Recently I have been involved with numerous discussions regarding the use of profanity, particularly by Christians - is it okay? Is it a sin? What is really wrong with it? etc, etc, etc. The more the topic was discussed the more questions came about - is their firm scripture regulating the use of profanity? ... show more Recently I have been involved with numerous discussions regarding the use of profanity, particularly by Christians - is it okay? Is it a sin? What is really wrong with it? etc, etc, etc.

The more the topic was discussed the more questions came about - is their firm scripture regulating the use of profanity? Is it a matter of personal choice? Is it conditionally acceptable depending on when and where it is used?

As I participated in these discussions I realized that my understanding of the theology of profanity was sorely limited. I know what I felt about it, and I had good passages of scripture which appeared to back me up, however, the arguments in favor of ‘cussing’ seemed equally strong. So what to do?