sports bike vs. cruiser?

i'm looking into getting a bike but not sure witch type would be best for me. i like the style of a sports bike but i dont need the speed or care for it. but yet i want a bike the can tout me a round easy i'm a lil over 200lbs and only 5 7. any thoughts would help. please dont be sarcastic.

Favorite Answer

If you are wanting to stay with Sport bike I would recommend a Triumph Triple. Plenty of power and look sharp. I myself prefer a cruiser. They are much more comfortable to ride and if you plan on taking any long trips you will want to stay away from the sport bikes. Others might tell you different but I have been riding bikes for over 20 years and have ridden both on long trips. If you can afford it I suggest going with a HD Softail of some sort. The new Vulcan's and the Star bikes are very nice as well but anymore there is not much of a price difference.

Source(s): Experience: 20 years of riding and building

I'm also over 200 lbs. Most bikes won't have trouble with your weight. I ride a 500 cc sport bike that has no trouble keeping up with traffic, but doesn't quite get out of hand like a 600 can (a 600 will have about twice the power of a 500).

On cruisers, you can get slightly larger with the engine size. However, I'd recommend sitting on examples of both and finding out which one you feel comfortable on.

I just got an 1989 Suzuki VS750 Intruder. Its a small cruiser style. I had more options in sport bikes, but I don't care for the riding position. This smaller cruiser felt really nice when I sat on it. 750cc is plenty to move me, and I am your weight, but a little taller. It rides easily at 65mph. I haven't tried it faster, but since I plan to commute on surface streets, there's little need to go faster.

I am fitting it with a removable windscreen though. The upright posture is really blustery on the highway.

Source(s): Just made this decision, and am putting on miles. :)

Sounds like a cruiser would fit you best for your size and the comfort you're looking for. Go to some dealers and check them out. If you find the leg position a bit cramped, you can always put forward controls on. That's what I had to do on my Harley Super Glide. Once I did, the bike fit like a glove.

All depends on what you like, its a matter of preference. I personally like sport touring bikes since you can have both a sporty looking bike that can be comfortable enough for long rides like the Yamaha ST 1300, BMW K 1200 or Honda Interceptor (that's what I have). Good Luck!!!

Forget sport bikes, they aren't comfortable no matter what guys with them tell you.

Get a cruiser. A 750 V engine is big enough for

town and little expressway, an 1100 or 1300 is better if you need to do 75 on the freeway.

Source(s): 2000 750 Honda Ace, 1999 Honda 1100 Aero, 2005 Honda 1300 VTX in my garage.

Check out the Suzuki GSX650F. Looks like a sportbike but has upright ergonomics, like a sport touring bike. Decent price too. The Kawasaki Ninja 650 is also good & even cheaper.

Ever consider a standard or a sport tourer? You get a good dose of both styles in each. Personally I like to keep at least one sportbike and one cruiser around at all times but if ever I was confined to owning just one bike I'd keep a large standard or sport tourer around to still have the most of both worlds.

Get a used Yamaha Virago 750. It has enough power to go on the freeways, but not enough so you'll accidentally kill yourself. It handles well.

Be sure to get, and wear, a full face helmet. You'll also need an armored leather jacket that fits, and gloves.

Honda VFR Interceptor or VTR 1000f Superhawk.... in a nutshell. They have the torque of a tractor and the reliability/resale value of a Honda.

Source(s): I am a little taller than you, but 200 lbs. and I ride a Superhawk. These bikes are pussycats, sporting looks but comfortable. THe Superhawk is horrible on gas though, the VFR is fuel injected and has VTEC technology. YMMV.