Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Does the Internet Age Interfere With Personal Relationships ?

It would stand to reason, I guess; people stay in their houses, on their keyboards, and the outside world is often shut out. Some people I know open up well with their computers, but when it comes to real people, they are lost. Are we on the brink of an Isolation Age ?

Favorite Answer

skibunny is almost right, the internet is a tool, and like most tools can be used for positive or negative. You can use the internet to meet people, find groups that have interests that are similar to yours, to keep in touch with old friends and family living far away. The internet can cause people to become shut-ins, shopping on-line, working from home and never leaving the house, but I think we can all agree that most people use this tool in a positive way. Hey you and I are communicating right now, and this conversation probably would not be happening if it were not for the internet.

The internet is a handicap. There is no substitution for human interaction. You can not see a person's body language or hear their tone of voice. The internet is a replacement for these things, but many people find that this only works for a while, and then we start to crave human contact.

Not unless you let it.