Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

multilingual boy?

I live in USA. My son born here. My husband and I have different mothertounges. and we both speek with each other in 3rd languange. My son 4 year old goes to preschool where he is learning english. The problem is he mixes all the languages when he talks. (except english) will he ever talk other languages fluently in future. We both are consistant about talking our mothertounge langueage only.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I am sure as he gets older, he wil straighten out the languages.

I am also multilingual.

Mixing the languages in a sentence is entirely normal. Many words in different languages sound similar and have similar meanings. Although it may take him a little longer to speak fluently in one language or another, he will do it.

I think it's great that your son is being exposed to various languages and learning them. It will be incredibly beneficial to him in the long run. In Canada, it is not unusual for a family to speak french only to their child, while he/she is learning English at school. And often times there is another language being learned from a grandparent.

Continue to speak to your son in your native tongue, and encourage him to speak english at school. So long as you are both consistent, he will understand and speak it with no problems.

i think he will kids are brighter than we give them credit for and they also say that the younger they learn a 2nd language the better chance of them keeping to it and being fluent as the brain wants the knowledge. Talk to him in the language u want to be his first language and take it from there to teach him the others and explain that its a differnt language like people who live in spain ( for example) speak this language

Yes he will!