What is Christmas?

Why do you think we have Christmas?

I believe it is to celebrate the birth of Christ, our Savior. I want to know what you think.

Favorite Answer

Hi there!

Well, Im elsie. Im a christian, and I celebrate christmas because it is the birth of the Lord Jesus, who humbled himself to die on the cross so that all who would believe could be saved. I love him - he is Christ, mny God, my savior.

Im 12 years old, and often I get pushed around for my faith. But I dont mind....Jesus is my life.

I hope I helped answer your question.

Elsie :)

I believe we have Christmas, to celebrate the birth of Christ. I am a Christian and I am so happy when this day comes. I always say a big prayer on Christmas Eve and an even bigger prayer Christmas day.

But some people, might not have believe in God or something like that. But I know and hope we can all agree that Christmas is the time of year where we get to give to others. Whether its to the less fortunate or friends and family. As long as we're giving and spending time with our loved ones, is what I think it's all about alongside celebratings the birth of Christ.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!!!!

~blondie~

Christmas is an annual holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus. The date of the celebration is traditional, and is not considered to be his actual date of birth. Christmas festivities often combine the commemoration of Jesus' birth with various secular customs, many of which have been influenced by earlier winter festivals.

In most places around the world, Christmas Day is celebrated on December 25. Christmas Eve is the preceding day, December 24. In the United Kingdom and many countries of the Commonwealth, Boxing Day is the following day, December 26. In Catholic countries, Saint Stephen's Day or the Feast of St. Stephen is December 26. The Armenian Apostolic Church observes Christmas on January 6. Eastern Orthodox Churches that still use the Julian Calendar celebrate Christmas on the Julian version of 25 December, which is January 7 on the more widely used Gregorian calendar, because the two calendars are now 13 days apart.

The word Christmas originated as a contraction of "Christ's mass". It is derived from the Middle English Christemasse and Old English Cristes mæsse, a phrase first recorded in 1038, compounded from Old English derivatives of the Greek christos and the Latin missa.[1] In early Greek versions of the New Testament, the letter Χ (chi), is the first letter of Christ. Since the mid-16th century Χ, or the similar Roman letter X, was used as an abbreviation for Christ.[2] Hence, Xmas is often used as an abbreviation for Christmas.

After the conversion of Anglo-Saxon Britain in the very early 7th century, Christmas was referred to as geol,[1] the name of the pre-Christian solstice festival from which the current English word 'Yule' is derived.[3]

The prominence of Christmas Day increased gradually after Charlemagne was crowned on Christmas Day in 800. Around the 12th century, the remnants of the former Saturnalian traditions of the Romans were transferred to the Twelve Days of Christmas (26 December – 6 January). Christmas during the Middle Ages was a public festival, incorporating ivy, holly, and other evergreens, as well as gift-giving.

Modern traditions have come to include the display of Nativity scenes, Holly and Christmas trees, the exchange of gifts and cards, and the arrival of Father Christmas or Santa Claus on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. Popular Christmas themes include the promotion of goodwill and peace.

Source(s): WIkipedia.org
  • kikio

Nowadays, it is the commercialization of how retailers can get poor slobs to get out and start Christmas shopping around Labor Day so they can try to make a huge profit while consumers feel like they are spinning out of control trying to figure out what holiday they should be decorating for on October 31st.

I'm sorry, did I just come across as bah humbug? Oh dear, what has happened?

Now if you really want to know what Christmas is...go to a soup kitchen or a pediatric cancer ward and see how those folks take Christmas into their hearts. I bet they see it a helluva lot different than the rest of us do...and guaranteed, they know the true meaning, which would be to celebrate the birth of Christ our Lord.

Source(s): Many disappointing Christmas's trying to find Christmas spirit.

I believe it is to celebrate the birth of Christ, our Savior as well

• Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of the savior JESUS.In our home we give A gift to ONE family member(we draw names at Thanksgiving).we do this to show each other that we love JESUS and because we can't give our birthday gift to HIM,we give to each other.We don't get into the santa thing,we believe that is for the stores to just make more end of year sales.Give praise to GOD for the GIFT of JESUS and you will see how blessed you are.Keep your faith strong and true to HIM,that is what I think christmas is.So MERRY CHRISTmas!

We have Christmas to celebrate the Birth of Jesus.