Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

question about cancer plz?

i have a mole on my back its half the size of a pencil eraser its not that big but it hurts when i press it. its dark brown in the middle and light brown around it but on the mole. not outside it. and it hurts when i press it sometimes. i went to the doctor he schedualed me with a specialist. he said not to wrry cause he thinks its normal but he dosnt want me to take chances so he make me a appointment with a specialist. i have to wait 9 days till i see him and this is driving me crazy. i m 16 and too young and hot with big plans in the future i don wnna die =[

Favorite Answer

im sure its nothing to worry about

Try not to worry too much dear! I know that is easier said than done. I just had a mole removed off my shoulder that was cancer. If it is that small and the way that you explained it, it don't seem to be anything but a mole. The doctor was good to send you to a specialist just to make sure though. My mole had turned four different colors and was growing like crazy! Also, when they took it off it got everything and that is all I had to go through, so it wasn't that big of a deal anyway. I know it's scary!! Try to take this as a lesson and make sure to stay out of the sun or at least use sunscreen when you are out in it. I have to go in for a check-up every year and all is still fine! Good Luck dear!!

It doesn't sound like it's cancerous, your doc is being honest with you. I think you perhaps have irritated the mole, so it now hurts (I have a few like that, and they can really hurt sometimes)

The specialist will look at the mole(s) and evaluate them. Although theyr'e probably not cancerous, he may ask if you want them removed. It's a very simple procedure, and leaves a teeny tiny scar for a year or two at most. MUCH less visible than the mole was.

Don't worry about it, I'm almost certain it's nothing, and you have a wonderful Christmas/Holiday season.

Should you worry ? Not necessarily, although it's difficult to say without actually seeing your spots. I recommend that you visit your health care professional for an accurate diagnosis. Mole-like spots can appear on your skin at any age, and while many of these spots may be harmless, you should keep an eye out for signs of cancer.

How do you separate harmless moles from potentially cancerous ones? Check for the ABCDEs:

A is for asymmetry. This means that if you divide the mole in half, the two parts do not match. Asymmetry may be a sign of cancer.

B is for border. Irregular edges that are ragged or notched may be a suspicious sign.

C is for color. Uneven or multiple colors that may vary from brown, black, and pink to red, white, and blue can signal melanoma, a type of skin cancer that can be deadly.

D is for diameter. A mole may be abnormal if it is bigger than a pencil eraser.

E is for elevation. A raised or uneven mole can be a sign of skin cancer.

If a skin marking has any of the characteristics listed above, your doctor should evaluate it as soon as possible.

Also look for other warning signs of skin cancer, including a mole that appears to be new or growing; changes in appearance or texture; itches, hurts, or feels different than usual; or is crusted, swollen, red, or irritated.

While skin cancer can occur at any time in life, another possibility is that your spots may be related to age. Harmless, rough, waxy brown or black spots, called seborrheic keratoses, may start appearing on your skin just before midlife and become increasingly prevalent with age. Flat, brown spots that form after years of sun exposure -- age spots, also called solar lentigines -- are common in adults who have tanned or spent a lot of time outdoors.

No matter what has caused your spots, the best way to detect any changes in your skin is to give yourself a monthly skin self-exam and to see your health care professional regularly for a thorough skin exam. According to the American Cancer Society, these exams should be done every three years between the ages of 20 to 39 and yearly starting at age 40. You may need more frequent exams if you've had skin cancer in the past. And, of course, promptly contact your doctor's office anytime you detect a growth that looks suspicious or worries you.

Well first try to calm down I know it's scary but wait until you see a specialist. I had a friend in elementary school who had to get a mole removed because it was cancerous. She got it removed and everything was fine. Nothing ever came back and she went on to live a healthy life. Good luck to you whatever your outcome is.

Your doctor is doing the right thing. Although it would be unusual for someone of your age to have melanoma, you don't want to take a chance. Melanoma is nearly impossible to cure once it reaches a depth of just a few millimeters. By that time, it has usually metastasized to other organs. However, it is unlikely that this is a malignant skin lesion in your age bracket. Additionally, a few days is not going to make any difference.

Try to relax and find some things to do in the meantime so that you aren't feeling so anxious. Think positive, and if the mole is malignant, it's probably early enough to remove it and not have any more serious problems. Just take things as they come, don't get so ahead of yourself. Good luck honey!

• ?

Just relax!

Don't worry about it, it'll stress you out! Also, if worse comes to worse and it is cancerous, then since you went to the doctor early, they can probably remove it! You're only 16, it probably hasn't been developing for too long. And the too young and hot, that wasn't necessary lol. It can't develop too much in 9 days. Just relax! Good luck. My prayers are with you.

• J B

It is natural to worry but worrying excessively gets you nowhere except for stress. Wait until your appointment. Hopefully, it will be good news and it will be a simple mole that needs removed. Leave the serious worrying until you get a diagnosis.

Source(s): Been there, done that

Skin cancer is VERY treatable when caught early. You have nothing to worry about. If he really thought there was a huge issue you'd have seen that specialist the same day.

Don't worry about this. Your Dr. is doing the right thing sending you to a specialist. He or she will be able to tell you whether you have anything to worry about. They may even remove it for you, don't worry you will be numb if they do. Enjoy the Christmas and try not to worry about something that is probably normal.

Good Luck!!!!