Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

ive heard chocolate is bad for dogs, it doesnt affect my dog why?

Update:

he has had it since a pup of 4 weeks

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Shanna
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you know that chocolate is bad for dogs, why are you giving it to yours? Are you just totally ignorant and unfeeling to the fact that just because your dog doesn't drop dead immediately doesn't mean you aren't doing lasting damage?

    Quit giving your dog things that are bad for it. Cocaine is bad for people and kills people everyday, but some people go years using the drug before it finally catches up to them. Don't do the same thing to your dog.

  • 1 decade ago

    The higher the cocoa content the worse it is for the dog. The amount of chocolate needed to cause toxic effects depends on the dog's size, breed, and pretty much the dog itself and the cocoa content (type of chocolate). If you give a Lab half a square of hershey milk chocolate it should be fine. If you feed a 2 lb yorkie a pound and a half of Baker's Chocolate you're going to need to induce vomiting and rush that dog to the vet. So while you may not see adverse effects in YOUR dog with one particular type of chocolate, it's still not a god idea to give chocolate to the dog.

    Source(s): almost 10 years of vet clinic experience
  • 1 decade ago

    STOP GIVING THE DOG CHOCOLATE!!!! just bcuz it hasnt affected the dog yet doesnt mean that it's never going to. it takes a lot of chocolate to kill a dog but still if you keep feeding it chocolate it's gonna take its toll

  • 1 decade ago

    Actually, I think it is affecting your dog, but you don't notice it yet. I'd recommend to stop feeding the chocolate to your dog, because chocolate contains chemicals that are very bad for a dogs digestion, and so since they can't digest it properly it makes them sick, and it can be fatal in severe cases.

    Just try to stop feeding him/her chocolate =]

  • 1 decade ago

    It all depends on how much your dog gets.

    Milk Chocolate = 1 oz per pound.

    Depending on how big your dog is means that it has to eat as much chocolate as it weighs before it dies.

    Google it.

  • 1 decade ago

    yeah it does, but you probably do not notice, or realize that they are warning signs. a treat of chocolate does not kill them, but chocolate everyday in small amounts will lead to severe health problems in the future. and they also develop a liking for it, and begin to sniff it out. getting into a large amount of chocolate could kill a dog.

  • 1 decade ago

    chocolate is in fact toxic to dogs. If you have a large dog it would take more to effect the dog. so much chocolate per each pound of your animals weigh.

  • 1 decade ago

    The problem in dogs is Theobromine, a stimulant found naturally in all chocolate and cocoa products. The damage is to the kidneys, and this damage can take a long time to show up. So please find another treat to feed your dog.

  • 1 decade ago

    Chocolate causes dogs to become diebetic eventually as all human food does it will also cause the dog's pancreas to inflame overtime killing the dog

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It DOES affect your dog...tho you may not see it yet. Ask the vet...he/she will tell you that giving an animal chocolate is like slowly poisoning them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.