Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

Does anyone have any tricks for sewing binding on a blanket?

When I get it all pinned in place and begin to sew it bunches up at the corners and ruins my mitered corners. How can I make sure it wont bunch up?

Favorite Answer

I would suggest sewing the binding on the blanket first, and THEN mitering the corners; be sure to pin the binding thoroughly before sewing, of course. It's pretty slippery stuff!

Why is it bunching up? Are you not starting while holding the thread ends for the first few stitches? Is the presser foot pressure too high? Is the binding catching in the toe of the presser foot? Have you basted or used something like School glue or WonderTape? Have you considered starting in the middle of a side and then continuing around till you meet your starting place? Do you need embroidery stabilizer and/or paper above and/or below?

Source(s): 45+ years of sewing