Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

For black users: Do you believe that there is a distinct black culture in America?

Is this idea offensive to you or do you find it legitimate?

I ask because it seems to imply that blacks are not a part of mainstream American culture, which I do not agree with.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, they're called "subcultures." Lots of people belong to particular subcultures. Probably it would help if you read up on this.

• 1 decade ago

I believe culture is something all races have and enjoy. Yes whites have culture too. In America, however white culture has been considered to be synonymous with the term American. Evidence of this is the hyphen attached to all non white American born citizens. I am black and therefore I am racially identified as African-American. My family has been in this country so long that my great grandmother did not know what our African connection was. I have no idea what my relationship to Africa is. The problem is that minorities are Americans and have to constantly struggle with the idea that we are supposed to assume white culture in order to be considered good Americans. Whites are not to blame for this but sometimes become unknowing participants in the stereotyping.

Since culture is really just a recognizable pattern of activity within a race, the idea that one cannot engage in the comforts and patterns of activity that we grew up in without being viewed as anti-American by whites is a source of contention and therefore risks being labeled as racist. More often the intent is not racist, but the action of verbally or physically expressing disdain is. We have to learn more about each other and eliminate the assumption that white culture is any more American than any other kind.

• edubya
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Politics no different than religion, one has to be smarter than to let either make a black/white issue. Sure there is different cultures in America and the world. Don't let either of the above mentioned declare one "better" than another.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

White and black people have their own mini cultures, but above that we are all part of the American Culture.

Source(s): I have a black girlfriend and I meet their family all the time. They are no different then white people.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that many "black" people are trying to create one...I just wish they would stop trying to live up to the stereotype...We are worth so much more if we let ourselves be!

• 1 decade ago

WE ARE ALL AMERICAN.WHY IS THE BLACK AND WHITE THING ALWAYS COMING UP.YES BLACKS ARE VERY MUCH A PART OF MAINSTREAM AMERICA.OK SATISFIED.GET OVER THIS 400 YR OF WHITE RULE THING.THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY RACE BLACK AND WHITE AND MEXICAN AND INDIAN AND GERMAN AND SO ON, AND SO ON.! THERE;S NO POINT HERE IN THIS QUESTION OTHER THEN TO START SOME TROUBLE HERE.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

An anti-culture, I suppose you might call it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

bigjon55 is so right and so is the first answerer

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

have you ever watched MTV??!!!!

Source(s): me!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.