Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

For black users: Do you believe that there is a distinct black culture in America?

Is this idea offensive to you or do you find it legitimate?

I ask because it seems to imply that blacks are not a part of mainstream American culture, which I do not agree with.

Favorite Answer

Yeah, they're called "subcultures." Lots of people belong to particular subcultures. Probably it would help if you read up on this.

I believe culture is something all races have and enjoy. Yes whites have culture too. In America, however white culture has been considered to be synonymous with the term American. Evidence of this is the hyphen attached to all non white American born citizens. I am black and therefore I am racially identified as African-American. My family has been in this country so long that my great grandmother did not know what our African connection was. I have no idea what my relationship to Africa is. The problem is that minorities are Americans and have to constantly struggle with the idea that we are supposed to assume white culture in order to be considered good Americans. Whites are not to blame for this but sometimes become unknowing participants in the stereotyping.

Since culture is really just a recognizable pattern of activity within a race, the idea that one cannot engage in the comforts and patterns of activity that we grew up in without being viewed as anti-American by whites is a source of contention and therefore risks being labeled as racist. More often the intent is not racist, but the action of verbally or physically expressing disdain is. We have to learn more about each other and eliminate the assumption that white culture is any more American than any other kind.

• edubya

Politics no different than religion, one has to be smarter than to let either make a black/white issue. Sure there is different cultures in America and the world. Don't let either of the above mentioned declare one "better" than another.

White and black people have their own mini cultures, but above that we are all part of the American Culture.

Source(s): I have a black girlfriend and I meet their family all the time. They are no different then white people.

I think that many "black" people are trying to create one...I just wish they would stop trying to live up to the stereotype...We are worth so much more if we let ourselves be!

WE ARE ALL AMERICAN.WHY IS THE BLACK AND WHITE THING ALWAYS COMING UP.YES BLACKS ARE VERY MUCH A PART OF MAINSTREAM AMERICA.OK SATISFIED.GET OVER THIS 400 YR OF WHITE RULE THING.THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD IN EVERY RACE BLACK AND WHITE AND MEXICAN AND INDIAN AND GERMAN AND SO ON, AND SO ON.! THERE;S NO POINT HERE IN THIS QUESTION OTHER THEN TO START SOME TROUBLE HERE.

An anti-culture, I suppose you might call it.

bigjon55 is so right and so is the first answerer

have you ever watched MTV??!!!!

Source(s): me!