Is UPS liable if they leave a package on your doorstep and it gets stolen?

I'll start from the top I guess. I ordered something from Amazon at the beginning of December. It was originally shipped via USPS and got lost in shipping. I inquired about it, and they said they would send me another item. As it turns out, they shipped the new package UPS overnight air. This wouldn't... show more I'll start from the top I guess. I ordered something from Amazon at the beginning of December. It was originally shipped via USPS and got lost in shipping. I inquired about it, and they said they would send me another item. As it turns out, they shipped the new package UPS overnight air. This wouldn't have been a problem, but it was scheduled for delivery the day that I flew out of town. I had already told the post office to hold my mail, thinking it would be shipped USPS again. Well, I called UPS customer service and asked if they could hold it until the 2nd of January so I could pick it up at their facility. They could not. I was told they could change the delivery address while the package was in transit, and somebody would call me that morning (the day it was supposed to be delivered) to verify the new address. Nobody ever called, and I am now in SC and the package is on my apt doorstep in CA. If it's not there when I get back on Jan 2nd, is UPS liable?
Update: Unfortunately, the apartment office won't do anything about it. I don't know any of my neighbors, nor do I have any friends to pick it up for me. I'm not exactly the social type. Since they left it in plain view outside my door, and I don't live in a secured building or apartment, if it... show more Unfortunately, the apartment office won't do anything about it. I don't know any of my neighbors, nor do I have any friends to pick it up for me. I'm not exactly the social type. Since they left it in plain view outside my door, and I don't live in a secured building or apartment, if it disappears before I get back on Jan. 2nd what should I do?