Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Tammy
Tammy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Anyone here have Mini Dachshunds and can't get them potty trained?

I have two, a brother and sister that are 1.5 years old and still not house trained. I love having dogs all over the house and on the sofa, or in bed at night with us. But these two have to be kept in our kitchen, except when we force them outside to go potty. They seem to be marking territory even though they were neutered at 4 or 5 months of age.

We need some good advice please.

We have tried crate training, but they pee in their crate. If we let them roam free in the house they pee on the furniture and that got old fast.

Favorite Answer

Have you tried crate-training them? That has always worked for me. You could try leaving them each in a crate with an old towel, blanket, or robe, a toy, and something to keep them busy, like a bone when you're gone. If you make the crate a fun place for them, they won't mind staying in there and won't go to the bathroom unless they can't hold it anymore. Put them out directly before you leave so they can go if they have to, put them in, and right when you get back, take them out. If they go, praise them. Try that for a while (I left mine like that for about two weeks and they got the hang of it) and test them out in the house. Put down some puppy pads in case they have an accident. If they still go in the house, continue with the crates. That has worked for me and my dachshunds and I hope it will work with yours if you decide to try it! Good luck!

Yes. I have the same problem. We have 3 males. I drape several sheets of puppy training papers around the house.With one paper, I lift the toilet lid, put the top of the paper on the commode, then secure it by putting the lid back down. It drapes down, & they "lift" their legs & pee on it. (Mine aren't puppies either. 2, 5, & 7). This takes care of a lot of it, but not all of it. Every little bit helps though. I love them with all my heart, so I'll keep fighting the "Battle of the Pee".

Good luck- I have 7 dachsies and the males still mark their "territory". They are all 4 or 5 years old.

We have doen everything we can think of and they still do it.

It is frustrating but I love them all. We have no carpeting in our house (hardwood and linoleum) so this helps bu they still can be little "peebrains" sometimes.

Source(s): Dacshie owner

Okay you can get them trained easily you can go to Petsmart or your local pet store! It may cost a little bit or more, but its worth it!!! IF not you can go to your book store and get doggy training books

our min-pin was like that..it was really frustrating cuz she was always wanting to be outside but then splat...but about 9 months or so it finally did stop..but it was really testing our patiance

could acting rebellious because they are lock in ithe kitchen.