Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Can I put toilet tissue in my hamsters cage? (a winter white russian dwarf)?

I know you can give it yo gerbils, but is it okay for my hamster? Because I am nearly running out of the fluffy cotton hamster stuff i bought, and i can't afford to go keep buying packets of it, so can i put tissue into my hamsters cage?

Thanks guys :D

Favorite Answer

i wouldnt suggest it b/c if they urinate on it it will absorb it and they could get sick, you know those cardboard egg holders? if you want buy those kinds instead and rip those up and use that as bedding, b/c they make that kinnd of bedding origionally in the store and sell it in packages when you could just make your own.

and maybe add some toilet paper rolls in with it too.

but i would try to somehow make a lil more moeny to get some bedding...

good luck!

Source(s): had 8 hamsters of my own one of them just died last week sadly :( he was 3 years old

Never use cotton balls, if a hamster accidently swallows it then they cant digest it and can be dangerous. A good alternative to toilet tissue is plain [not patterned because of ink] kitchen towel...it is better then toilet tissue as produces less dust when chewed and ripped up. The dust can cause respiritory problems. I may be being too cautious, but prevention is better then cure, and regarding the cotton balls that has been proven with hamster owners before that it can be fatal so please steer clear. Good luck and if you do choose kitchen towel if you buy a bumper pack of six rolls for about £4 it will last ages and works out cheaper then prepackaged bedding from pet stores, plus you can afford to be a bit more generous with the amount you give...especially at this time of year!

you sure can, but use toilet paper instead of kleenex, it is much softer for the hamster to sleep and play in. if you do use toilet paper, DO NOT USE COTTENELLE!!!!!!! It is too rough. i am a vet and our clinic did a study an dcottenelle is harmful. it caused two dwarfs, one syrain, and three gerbils to die. use something soft like charmin (never ultra strong for any, too rough) or angel soft. do not ever use tissue paper especially the colored kinds. it contains harmful chemicals that cause rodents to die.

- Flower Power

• ?

That other answer is wrong....you cannot share a cage with WWRD Hampsters because they are often the most territorial. After aging for only a few months, they will be ready for breeding and will end up fighting, regardless of a female present or not. I wouldnt suggest risking it UNLESS you have no choice, and quite a spacious cage. -Devin

• chante

We used to give our hamsters a piece of kleenex as a treat when their cages were cleaned.

• ok i give my tan chineese dwarf hamster the toilet paper roll and in one end i put cotton balls but i bet you could to keep it war

Yup. Accutally, I do it all the time! And, also they put it in their bed/house and they STUFF it with cotton balls, and tissue paper! Here are the things that you can use:

tissue paper,

cotton balls,

and anything like that.

Good luck!

This kind of paper is okay for hamsters. Put it in his 'house' and let him shred it himself.

-Sids

Source(s): Hamster owner and lover!

I wouldn't recommend it, for most toilet paper is bleached-- thats why its white. Try non-printed newspaper. That should work well.

"a winter white russian dwarf" :)

Sounds a like a cocktail.