Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Who was the first sports announcer to address Muhammad Ali by his Muslim name?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is Howard Cosell. I think I know your sources. But keep the questions coming!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Howard Cosell who, along with Larry Merchant, were, in my opinion, the two worst announcers of all time. I think Don Dunphy was the best of all time.

• KatVic
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It was Howard Cosell, after being corrected by Ali after the second liston fight, He called Him "Cassius", and Ali told him that was his "Slave-Name" and he is now Mohammed Ali, and not to call him Cassius slay anymore. Howard Cosell appologized right on T.V. and said your right Mohammed, you have every right to be called whatever you want to and I appologize. Take Care and God Bless to You and Yours. 1st. Sgt., 7th Special Forces, (Ret.) Vietnam 67-70

Source(s): Seen it happen.
  • gman
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

May have been the great football star Tom Harmon who became a great announcer upon retirement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It was Cosell, everyone else refused to call him Muhhamad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.