Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Who was the first sports announcer to address Muhammad Ali by his Muslim name?

Favorite Answer

It is Howard Cosell. I think I know your sources. But keep the questions coming!

Howard Cosell who, along with Larry Merchant, were, in my opinion, the two worst announcers of all time. I think Don Dunphy was the best of all time.

• KatVic

It was Howard Cosell, after being corrected by Ali after the second liston fight, He called Him "Cassius", and Ali told him that was his "Slave-Name" and he is now Mohammed Ali, and not to call him Cassius slay anymore. Howard Cosell appologized right on T.V. and said your right Mohammed, you have every right to be called whatever you want to and I appologize. Take Care and God Bless to You and Yours. 1st. Sgt., 7th Special Forces, (Ret.) Vietnam 67-70

Source(s): Seen it happen.
  • gman

May have been the great football star Tom Harmon who became a great announcer upon retirement.

It was Cosell, everyone else refused to call him Muhhamad.