According to Catholic theology, what happens to the souls of animals when they die?

I read a book that said Mormons do believe that animals go to heaven when they die since they were creations of God made for devotion upon us. Do Catholics agree with this? If no, why?

Even though I would give respect to the ones whose religious creed is that animals are "empty" inside, I personally definitely think that animals have souls and emotions. This is not something religious but experimental.

I appreciate your answers. How interesting! :-)

Favorite Answer

As a child in catholic school, I was taught that animals have no souls, so they can't go to heaven. I never actually believed that though.

Most Christian religions including Catholicism are either rather quiet on the subject or believe that animals do not have souls and cannot experience God.

However the book of Revelation chapter 5 verse 13 states, "Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, everything in the universe, cry out: "To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor, glory and might, forever and ever."

This sounds like every creature is praising Jesus.

With love in Christ.

Source(s): During this season of Advent when all of Christendom looks back to the first coming of Christ at Bethlehem and looks to the future when Christ will come again, I add my voice: "O come, O come, Emmanuel!"

so do and others don't i am one who does. some say "animals don't have 'real' feelings or no soul that why they don't go to heaven. I say and many others agree, that if there is a Saint over animals then why would they not go to heaven

The souls of animals differ from the souls of man in that they are not immortal. When they die, they die.

Catholics do not believe that animals have souls. they are creatures of god but have no soul.

• Tobby

They go to Heaven & abide with God!

Ok, reasoning, here goes, my wife is Cath. & I asked her why? & she said an animal -pet has no sin. Only pets because cows & such just die. Pets love you reguardless of how you look, or how you smell. They will love you! forever!

how can there be paradise without animals, a place with out animals to me would feel empty

They turn into marshmallows and we toast them to put in out hot chocolate.

they will reborn again