sean asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to discipline myself? i have strong procratination habit...?

• James
    Favorite Answer

Rather than seek to punish yourself, think about why you are procrastinating. Is there something you dislike about what you want to do, or are you simply not managing your time well. I can think of three general tips:

1. set goals - and associate rewards with those goals. Good job: get a cookie. Forgot to do it: no cookie. Though I'm not a big fan of behaviorism, over the short term it can be quite effective while you work out the reasons for the procrastination.

2. Self monitoring: When you notice that you're procrastinating, make a check mark somewhere. Keep count. Don't punish yourself (that's likely to make you even more adverse to the task by creating an association of punishment with the task), just be aware. That keeps the task in mind, and remembering is the first step to doing.

3. Set a schedule and keep it (or just start it now). I find this especially helps when writing papers - I just start, then once I've started it's a little easier to keep going, and so on.

Good luck with whatever projects you have ahead of you.

Before you do something you've been putting off, thing about something you enjoy doing after you finish whatever the task was. You will especially enjoy what you are doing after you did that awful thing you have been putting off.

This is what I do. I save my YA for when I have finished what must be done.

Today I wrapped some gifts, washed dishes and decorated a little bit. Now I can play on Yahoo Answers. Yippi!!!

Good Luck

Same here. Set loose goals for yourself each day to get a certain amount done. That way you have time to tweak what time slot you do it in...but STILL have it on you agenda as important

See procrastination, in section 26, at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris

Hobble your self!!! or get a Frontal Lobotomy