james s asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my dog has difficuty eating and drinking due to him having foamy saliva coming from his mouth while doing this

he is 14 years old and he is a chow. He is frail and has a little trouble with his hind legs and stability sometimes. He is in good spirits otherwise and wants to eat and drink but makes a big mess when he does. he seems to carry his food and even with canned food (soft and not chunky at all) he can't seem to get it into his mouth without jerking back and forth to get it into his throat.

• dee
    Favorite Answer

Get him to a vet NOW...not tomorrow, not next week. If your dog's vet does not have Saturday hours, take him to an emergency vet. But he needs immediate attention.

Has he had a check up lately. It could be something as simple as a bad tooth. If he is still in good spirits and wants to eat and drink then I would try to help him before it gets worse. If he doesn't get enough to eat he is going to go down hill fast. Good luck.

try wetting dry dog food. or maybe small pellets. Eukanuba has good food you can try. I have a chinese crested and they are picky eaters. I had a hard time getting him to eat, so I wet some dry dog food and he ate it up so fast, I thought that I didn't feed him. I don't know if it will work, so try it. Good Luck.

If your dog is drooling more than usual, it's definitely time to see a vet. Best of luck to you guys.