sbsurfr78 asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

How To Help Small Animals?

I see a lot of shelters and other things that benefit cats and dogs, but not that many help small animals such as mice, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rabbits. What types of things could I do to help our little friends? I live in an apartment, so opening a major at-home small animal shelter may be out of the question. Thanks in advance for your help!

Favorite Answer

There are small animal shelters.

They are usually privately owned and not really publisized.

Ask at Animal Control and the SPCA. Sometimes they know about the private shelters.

Also, animal control and the SPCA do take in the small pets. They do their best by them, (which is pretty darn good) but you're right, they don't have the specialized equipment and space for them.

Also, dogs and cats get more publicity.

Unless you can find one of the private shelters, just donate time and money to the SPCA.

Educate youself about the animals themselves, so you can give good advise to people thinking of surrendering their pet. Sometimes owners just need more information to solve problems and the animal doesn't even get to the shelter.

"Preach" about shelters to whoever will listen.

If you hear of a friend, family member, a stranger on a bus, your best friend's sister's boyfriend's cousin thinking of getting an animal, tell them about the advantages of shelters, and how to find a good one.

Keep numbers (including adoption fees) and contacts handy.

It sounds absolutely psychotic, but people don't know their options, and you can do a lot of good just by letting people know that homeless pets come in all species.

Usually all of those shelters will take all kinds of animals, not just cats and dogs. I worked at a shelter and in the two years i was there we had a rabbit, goat, deer, and a hawk as well as cats and dogs. Talking to local shelters to see if they will also accept small animals and then helping get the word out would help. If they don't accept them maybe the shelter would be willing to start accepting them and you could head that project.

Why not donate money or talk to a friend who has a house and see if you could help run it in their home.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and I thought about doing a guinea pig rescue center. But, after owning 2 of them I don't think I'd be able to do it since I'm so busy..

But, yea. I think it sounds like a wonderful i dea.

Source(s): Double GP Owner.

well you could start a foster home shelter for them. thats where you find many many people who can take a few or even one animal at a time and find homes for them. thats what alott of places where i live do for everything from reptiles to horses. find a good group of people, put an ad or craigslist or in the paper, you will find lots of local support that way.

you could adopt a small animal to help them out or donate money to them to help them build a small animal shelter or I would just asked them about it it would not hurt to ask,

Hope this helps

Denise

Source(s): small animal rescuer
  • dave s

Your best bet is to contact an established rescue and either volunteer or donate your time/money. Below are a few of the best rescues around.....good luck!

dave<:3}~...OWNER/ SHAGGYMOUSE YAHOO GROUP