Why do department stores sell perfume or cologne....?

...that smells like bug spray?

I was at Macy's the other day and felt faint from all the strong perfume. Eternity for women makes me nauseated.

Favorite Answer

I think that you might be slightly allergic to something in those perfumes. I love fragrance but I have to be selective (no white musk). There's a whole school of fragrance now that's much more subtle like "Child" or "Kai". I know what you mean about the bug spray thing. I threw some magazine samples away and I keep moving the basket farther and farther away from my desk! LOL. They are all top selling fragrances too! No wonder so many people don't like perfume! I also like J.R. Watkins lemon oil (Available at Target). The company also makes food so the lemon oil is very natural smelling. I don't like health store fragrances so much, they are a little too hippyish for me.

I think it depends on who's shopping. If a department store (upscale like Macy's, not one like Walmart) sells it for a higher price and a high end shopper wants it, they will pay the extra to say they bought it in Macy's because they wouldn't be caught dead shopping at Walmart. Now if Walmart sold the same perfume for $10, more people would buy it from there because they are saving money. Some people are shopping snobs and will only shop at a high end store, even if they could get the same item for much less elsewhere. So my guess would be that both department and drugstore make out in the long run.

• Tanker

Well, because it is merchandise, many people love those products. The french were one of the original cultures who invented perfume, cologne. Reason was people didn't bathe, they thought it was unhealthy. The other reason for the way you felt is that you might be slightly allergic.

Big Profit Margin

To cover the guilt!

its the mixture of all the perfumes combined.

Hey, someone must like it if they sell it. Guess it's just not for you. :-]