Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it true that it is acceptable for a giant menorah to be at the White House but a cross is not allowed?

Believe me I'm agnostic when it comes to religion and nor do I hate Jews. I just want to find out why this is?

I recall there being some hoorahrah about crosses and nativity scenes being on government grounds before, but it's ok to have a giant menorah on the white house grounds but no Christianity?

Giant Menorah in front of White House

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3480073,...

Is this ok with Christians and Jews?

Christmas trees aren't of Christian origin it's of pagan origin. No crosses or nativity scenes.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure about this so if I'm wrong please excuse my ignorance, but isn't a menorah a symbol of Hanukkah and not a symbol of the Jewish faith as a whole? They have a Christmas tree at the white house, right?

The law -- not my opinion, but the actual law -- is this: It's okay to have a giant Menorah on government property if there is a nativity scene on the same property. (By the way -- you made a general mention of a "hoorahrah" about crosses, but did not support your statement with reference to any source.) It's also okay to have a cross or a nativity scene on government property if other religions are also represented. The article you linked does NOT mention anywhere that there is no nativity scene at the White House. I am pretty sure there is one -- as well as a Christmas tree.

Please support your statement with a news source that states that there is no nativity scene or other Christmas attributes on White House property. In the event you can't document that, what exactly is the problem -- the fact that there is a menorah at all?

EDITED TO ASKER

You said: "Christmas trees aren't of Christian origin it's of pagan origin." Oh, do you REALLY want to go there? Methinks you don't. Not only Christmas trees are of pagan origin -- Christmas is of pagan origin. It does not coincide with the actual birth of Jesus and was instituted merely as a replacement for earlier pagan winter festivals, including Saturnalia (made early medieval pagans' transition into Christianity easier). None of the gospels identify a birth date for Jesus, but circumstantial evidence suggests spring or summer -- certainly not late December; and the reference to a census means the year of his birth was no later than 4 BC. Christmas has little to do with historical Jesus. So if IT is "Christian" enough, so is a Christmas tree.

Is that on the grounds of the White House or near the White House? The Ellipse is actually a public park near the White House. Get your facts straight. :)

From the article:

"The larger-than-life Hanukkiya towers over gathered onlookers on the Ellipse—a manicured field located near the White House."

That's on the Ellipse just behind the White House, and there's also a giant Christmas tree there.

• Marie

They should have both! Judaism is the foundation of Christianity anyway! We were founded on Jewish and Christian principles, so therefore there is room for both.