Am I overweight? Weight loss tips?

I am 5 feet tall, (a girl) and I weigh 118 pounds. I am really self-concious about my weight but my friend keeps telling me that I'm not overweight, I'm just wondering whether or not she's right...? Also, does anyone have some good weight-loss tips? I'm athletically challenged so I really don't play sports, is there any other way I can increase my metabolism speed?

Favorite Answer

diet drugs frequently work by increasing your metabolism. don't take them. they'll wreck your body. i've included some tips for losing weight below... find a bmi calculator. go to webmd.com. it'll tell you if you're overweight.

hi! i'm a 20-something american woman who lives in italy... during high school and university i was hopeless, but due to some weird circumstances in my life i ended up becoming a track runner and moving to italy. i've learned a lot about this stuff.

you can really easily be screwed by a number of factors in the states... NO, i'm not going to tell you to workout or go run, but there are a few things you should know...

the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. you'll need to find how many calories you need to eat every day- (this depends on your gender, height, age, etc) i'll post a link for an online calculator below.

the "average" calorie intake listed on the back of every package in an american grocery store is 2,500 calories daily. IF YOU ARE A TEEN GIRL, this is probably very wrong. your calorie needs are probably much less. (the 2,500 cal 'average american' takes in a lot of old, fat, tall men.) MY average is 2,200- but i work out 5 times per week.

PLEASE find a good online calculator, but a 5'7'' girl at 130 lbs who does NO physical activity would need about 1,500 to MAINTAIN her weight.

to put this in perspective: a 'super size' big mac meal at mc donald's has 1,600 calories. great, if you only want to eat one meal per day.

after you figure out how many calories you need to eat every day; here are some simple rules:

1. cut out any beverage that's not water. if you think you can't do it; make iced tea or lemonade at home. (20 oz of coke = 250 calories, a venti mocha frappuccino at starbucks = 500. that's a lot of calories, when you consider a big mac has 600, and a plate of pasta with tomato sauce about 400... though that's an ENORMOUS plate of pasta- versus one very SMALL hamburger.)

2. don't eat any sauce you can't see through. (mayo has about 100 calories per tablespoon, 1 packet of ranch dressing at mc donald's = 230, barbecue, etc. i have included a link below for a site that will tell you the calorie count of the foods you eat at restaurants: thedailyplate.com)

3. don't eat while watching television, and don't eat 'straight out of the bag'... put a portion on a plate- you'll be more aware of how much you're eating.

4. don't buy 'snack sizes' you'll eat 20% more snack size oreos than the big ones... they've planned it that way. (though oreo does now make '100 calorie per bag' oreos. they don't have cream filling.)

5. prepare your own food. american food labeling is crap. 'reduced fat' can mean that it's reduced from the ORIGINAL product, which doesn't get you anywhere, if the original product was a coronary in a bag. when you prepare it yourself, you know what you're eating.

6. if you do decide to do something active, make it something you like, join a group, go at least twice a week, and you have to go even if you don't feel like it. if you don't follow these rules, you won't stick to it, i promise.

7. don't look at your weight, look at your BMI. (your body mass index) an average girl should have a bmi of about 20%-- meaning that 20% of her body weight is composed of fat. (a HEALTHY 5'2'' girl that's 100 lbs, will carry about 20 lbs of fat. it's dangerous to get below 13%. if the same 5'2'' girl weighs 160, it's unhealthy- but not because of the pounds, because the PERCENTAGE of fat is WAY too high.) anyway, if you're bmi is healthy, you're healthy. there are bmi calculators online that will tell you your percentage.

8. eat every 3 hours, if you can, small portions. set the alarm on your cell if you need to. take a power bar (or similar) in you purse ALWAYS. (i like LUNA bars, they're $1 per, but taste good, and will actually save you money, as they've got all the vitamins and minerals of a full meal.) if you HAVE to eat fast food, order kid's portions.

i know a lot of professional female athletes, and although they don't have tummies, many have a diffcult time getting a 6-pack (abs), and most of them have cellulite on their thighs. cellulite can be made worse by eating saturated fat (butter), and those deposits can be nearly permanent. the quickest way to reduce the appearance of cellulite, i think would be tanning cream.

if you have any amount of fat, it will show up first on your stomach. there are a lot of people that have strong stomach muscles, but the smallest bit of fat will cover over it right away. so a 300lb woman might have stomach muscles of britney spears (i'm not talking about a 'ripped' tummy, but a cute flat beachy one... :p ), but seeing as the stomach is the first place fat goes, you'd need to get rid of the fat before you'd be able to see what's underneath. a '6 pack', therefore is really a sign of someone in very, very good health.

i won't tell you to exercise, but remember- the more you move your body, the more you can eat without worry!

all diet programs that you PAY for offer do everything i've just said for you, esp. weight watchers, whose 'point system' is exactly what i've done above.

hope i didn't sound preachy, and i hope it helped.

p.s. when you look for info online, especially calculators, make sure the source is reliable (like www.webmd.com), and make sure to type in 'teenage girl'. you have special, different dietary needs. you'll need a bmi calculator, calorie intake calculator. then 'thedailyplate.com' will tell you how many calories are in the food you're eating.

Source(s):

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed, www.thedailyplate.com

I've tried many diets and couldn't make anything work. Since having my first child, I've been carrying around an extra 30 pounds. This diet just made sense and showed me that everything I was doing before was wrong and a waste of my time.

The plan was so refreshing and so simple to follow. I did everything plan said and lost 23 pounds in the first three weeks. I'm now starting the diet again to lose 7 more pounds. This plan has changed my life.

Get started today!

Dont eat less, thats the worst thing you can do. Try drinking 90 oz of water every day, this helps any bloating go away and is really healthy. Try eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack throughout a day. This of course should be healthy food as in: veggies, fruits, lean meats, beans etc. If you have to eat out or buy packaged food just dont eat hydrogenated foods or high sodium levels (look at ingredients). Try to get in a few full body workouts if you can like lunges, squats, crunches and push-ups (better if done on a workout ball). Have fun!

Ignore those people. Who cares about their opinion? Go to the gym. Everyone goes to the gym to lose weight. Trust me, once you go to the gym you will find people with all kind of sizes. Start on a healthy diet and try not to eat a lot of fat and sugar. Go to the gym and walk an hour on the treadmill for 5 days a week. You will probably lose 2 pounds this way, which is great. Don't aim to lose weight fast. Losing weight takes time and losing it in a healthy way will help you maintain it for a longer time. Good Luck.

Here are some tips:

1 - Eat 5 - 6 smaller meals a day. That's Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and in between around 10am and 3 pm a snack that contains protein. By eating this way, it speeds up your metabolism, gives you more energy and your burn more fat.

2 - Eat food that are high in fiber, such as Oatmeal, High Fiber Cereals, Whole Wheat Bread, Vegetables. Fiber helps you feel full, help control cravings and stabilizes your sugar levels.

3 - Avoid eating too many carbohydrates later in the day. For example if you go to sleep at 11pm for you dinner eat lower carbohydrates, maybe a chicken salad.

4 - Eat good fats, from nuts, olive oil, flax seed oil. This fats are good for many functions in your body including hair, skin, nails, energy and burning fat, yes....fat helps burn fat.

5 - Like you mentioned drink plenty of water.

For exercises is really your choice as long as you do 15 - 30 minutes a day, 3 - 5 times a week.

Hope this helps!

weight loss green store tea are very strong. They kill my appetite, so I have to force myself to eat something. But I feel good, and don't feel hungry at all. I've been taking this diet tea for 3 weeks today, and I've lost 13 lb rapidly, but I think most of it was water. We'll see... I think th is tea will be helpful, for people who have not had any luck with traditional diets and exercise. If you try you will see difference you can search on google weight loss green store tea .

Instead of subtracting foods from your diet plan, make healthy additions. This is one of the crucial weight loss tips for women. Adding healthy foods like fruits, veggies, cereals, soups and stews can be of great importance.

Minor changes in your daily diet can go a long way in reducing your fat. Use the BMI calcualtor to know your ideal weight in proptotion to the height and age and make changes accordingly

Aim for a 300- to 400-calorie meal.

Make pancakes even healthier with the addition of mashed baked sweet potato, many pureed spinach and blueberries, or maybe cooked quinoa.