how do you pronounce "LL's" in spanish?

theres like 2 ways its really anoying. i say it like the english 'J'.

like ella. i pronounce it 'Ay-ja'

and some people say it 'Ay-yah'

it sounds retarded the second way, cuz i learned it the first way. and my spanish teacher (last year) was born in Puerto Rico (and left when she was 8) so she would know how to say it right.

i know 'tortilla' has the eniglish 'Y' way. but some things sound better with the english 'J'.

thanks♥

glass ceiling, you got that wrong. only spain pronounce's it 'zh'.

and i think mexico is 'y'

puerto rico is probably both. my mom says 'y' and my spanish teacher last year said 'j'

it doesnt matter anyway cuz im dropping out of spanish next year.

Favorite Answer

I know this may be confusing but that's the way it goes. It's a phonetic description of LL. To the explanation given I added a couple of examples in brackets.

My advice is to listen to your own teacher and try to stick to their accent. Believe me, it's going to make your life a lot easier.

LL sound in Spanish

In Spanish, official Galician spelling and Catalan, the ll combination stands for the phoneme /ʎ/ (palatal lateral approximant, a palatal /l/) -

(/ʎ/ as ll in million).

However, nowadays most Spanish speakers (as well as some Galician and Catalan speakers) pronounce ll the same as y (yeísmo). As a result, in most parts of Latin America as well as in many regions of Spain, Spanish speakers pronounce it /ʝ/ (voiced palatal fricative), while some other Latin Americans (especially Rioplatense speakers, and in Tabasco, Mexico) pronounce it /ʒ/ (voiced postalveolar fricative) or /ʃ/ (voiceless postalveolar fricative).

(/ʒ/ - as the S in measure) or (/ʃ/ as in sh- in shape)

Pronunciation Of Ll In Spanish

It's just a regional thing. Argentina, Puerto Rico and Southern Mexico (not sure about that one, but that's what I've been told) usually pronounce it as "j". I learned it as y, so that's how I usually say it. However I have a friend who pronounces it as j, and I must say it's very contagious, since I've caught myself saying "e-jah" a few times.

Originally though, I think it was intended as y. Puerto Rican Spanish has quite a few peculiarities (like saying l instead of r in some words) so oftentimes it's not the best model of "generic" Spanish.

• Susan

In *theory*, yes, it is pronounced like Portuguese "lh"; when I was a student in Spain (40 years ago!!) there were some areas - Cataluña, Valencia, Navarra, The Basque country, Aragón, Galicia and Murcia - where this pronunciation was quite normal. Nowadays, however, nearly everyone - especially the younger generation - pronounces it the same as "y" - (and sometimes even when speaking Catalan, Basque or Galego).

It depends on which spanish speaking country you are in. Spain pronounces it like a J. Parts of S. America do too. However, the other parts of S. America pronounce it like a Y. I prefer the Y; it's more distinguishable

It depends on where you came from, different places have different accents. For example, people from Argentina and Puerto Rico pronounce it as a "j" sound, while most other spanish speakers pronounce it as a "y". Either way is correct. I pronounce it as a "y"

It depends on the Spanish country. Each country has it's own way of speaking the language, much like the states. different dialects in different areas. Just go with what your teacher tells you, but be flexible.

In the Philippines, "ll" is pronounced as "lia" just like in million. So tortilla would sound like "tortilia" or Ella would be "Elia."

I think the "Ay-ja" pronunciation is a dialectical thing and comes from countries with more French or Portuguese influence, since the "juh" sound is more common in countries that speak or were heavily influenced by those cultures. I'd go with "Ay-yah."

• Shay p

Pollo chicken pronounced po'yo in Mexico

and po'zo in Guatemala

Or as you said

tortilla pronounced tor'ti'ya in Mexico

and tor'ti'za in Guatemala

You figure it out