What makes a Gumbo a Gumbo?

I just prepared a Gumbo for tonight. But I wonder "What really makes a Gumbo a Gumbo?
I had left over Turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving and leftover Meatballs. Than added all the spices and veggies.
Update: Well, the receipe that I pulled up from the internet stated meatball-turkey Gumbo. It actually tastes quite delicious. I just tried a bowel.
Update 2: I add all the veggies of the season that I had in my fridge. I added frozen okra, frozen green beans, frozen small onions, frozen meatballs, frozen turkey left overs, than put spices in like paprika, salt, pepper, oreango, and crushed pepper flakes and mrs. dash. it really turned out great. otherwise, I did... show more I add all the veggies of the season that I had in my fridge. I added frozen okra, frozen green beans, frozen small onions, frozen meatballs, frozen turkey left overs,
than put spices in like
paprika, salt, pepper, oreango, and crushed pepper flakes and mrs. dash. it really turned out great.
otherwise, I did not let my roux get too dark. I am always afraid I will burn it. I used 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil...