Damocles asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Sick and tired of that GAP ad?

Start by complaining to the gap:

http://www.gap.com/customerService/info.do?cid=784...

If you look at the HTML, you'll see this as part of the gap's ad:

Owner:gschen@yahoo-inc.com

Maybe CC them?

At the bottom of this page, you'll find a link to "Tell us what you think". Rather than go create your own, cull through all the ones out there and add a comment to them and click on the thumbs up. Keep going back through time and add your $.02 worth to a bunch of these complaints - and there are a bunch out there.

Make it very clear to the GAP that their intrusive ad has made you less willing to shop at their store. Encourage them to go out to Yahoo!Answers and look at all the "questions" that complain about their ad, as well as all the "suggestions" (i.e. Tell us what you think) begging Yahoo to pull this ad.

Make your voice heard. I told them in my complaint e-mail that they should replace their ad with an ad that is an appology!

The point is not to block the ads. The point is to stop adverisers from doing this kind of annoying stuff in the first place.

I was probably ranting a bit because I am so sick and tired of this stupid ad. When I e-mailed them, they actually responed with a very polite reply that they would forward my comments on to the manager in charge of this advertising campaign. The GAP, like any company, wants good advertising, not bad. They have no way of knowing that their latest ad is having the opposite effect unless we tell them. So, if you contact them, be polite. They seem to be willing to work with you and take feedback.

Boycotting doesn't help unless they know why you are boycotting. Maybe stopping by your neighborhood GAP and telling them why you aren't going to shop there is an option, but in my experience, employees at the retail store are either unwilling to, or have no method of reporting this kind of feedback back to the corporate office.

If you e-mail their adveriting people, the people who made this ad, then you get feedback to the people who can make a difference.

Boycotting could backfire. If sales are down, perhaps they will advertise more!

Favorite Answer

You have a very good point.

It's not a matter of being rude, but a matter of politely explaining one's point of view.

I blocked the ad with adblock (I use Firefox), and that was the end of it.

But I also took the time to send them a note to let them know what I think about this.

And end of the story.

If you are as annoyed as I am then consider taking a couple of minutes to fill out their survey. Just click on the ad. I answered all the questions about the GAP in the most negative choice they gave while leaving all other companies mentioned as "neutral". I thought they might get the idea this way that their ad is very annoying and backfiring.

I won't even mention any name as to not further the advertisers' agenda...Piss off enough people...and they will talk about you and mention your product and there's no bad publicity...yadi...yada.

I think people all over the world should just boycott that store, just before Christmas, just to let all the other companies know not to do such ads in the future. Ask all your friends to not shop there, as a solidarity thing, even if they don't use Y/A.

I put a suggestion to the Y/A people.

Give it a thumb up to cast your vote.

http://suggestions.yahoo.com/detail/?prop=answers&...

I wrote an e-mail to Gap Customer Service and let them know what I think. I've already received a reply. Here is their e-mail address:

"gap.com Customer Service" <custserv@gap.com>

Yes, it is exceptionally annoying.

Here's how to stop this gadly from ever assaulting your senses again:

Use Firefox. Get the adblock plugin (free). Get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox... . Install it and restart your browser. You'll see, in the lower right corner of your browser, a little square marked "Adblock" - this little button is your new best friend.

Click the "adblock" button in the lower right corner of your browser. Choose the Gap advert to add it to the block.

Voila. Problem solved :)

Check out THIS question:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200712...

It claims to have a “FIX” for that problem. No guarantees, though – I can’t test it myself.

And I don't seem to get it on MY computer, but people tell me that may be because of all my security programs. Whatever, I'm glad I DON'T get it!

That add-on that michele posted is no longer there. Someone else please post a better way to block the ad.

And to stick to the Q&A format, YES I'm sick of the ad!!