可以唔洗比歌詞, 要係英文

1 Answer

Rating
  • K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I personally think that the theme of the song Imagine is that:

Utopia (指烏托邦、理想國、或中國古文化中的大同世界) is possible if we all have dreams and work hard together, through giving up evil beliefs such as nationalism and capitalism, and even religions.

According to John Lennon, such things are origins or social disorders, mutual hatred, and countless wars in human history. I guess what some modern idealists say love and peace can well summarize his thought.

Let's take a look at the information provided by Wikipedia (edited):

In the book Lennon in America, written by Geoffrey Giuliano, Lennon commented that the song was "an anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic song, but because it's sugar-coated, it's accepted." Lennon also described it as "virtually the Communist Manifesto".

The lyrics were thought to be inspired by Lennon's hopes for a more peaceful world, though their origins are not known for certain. In 1963 Lennon penned the lyrics to "I'll Get You" with an opening verse of, "Imagine I'm in love with you, it's easy cause I know." The first verse of "Imagine" would seem to be a reworking of this. But the song's refrain may have been partly inspired by Yoko Ono's poetry, in reaction to her childhood in Japan during World War II. According to The Guardian, primordial versions of the song's refrain can be found in her 1965 book Grapefruit, where she penned lines such as, "imagine a raindrop" and "imagine the clouds dripping.

The following is a quote by John Lennon on the message of "Imagine", interviewed by David Sheff for Playboy magazine in 1980:

Sheff: On a new album, you close with "Hard Times Are Over (For a While)". Why?

Lennon: It's not a new message: "Give Peace a Chance" — we're not being unreasonable, just saying, "Give it a chance." With "Imagine," we're saying, "Can you imagine a world without countries or religions?" It's the same message over and over. And it's positive.

Yoko Ono (他的太太) said that the lyrical content of "Imagine" was "just what John believed — that we are all one country, one world, one people. He wanted to get that idea out."

Despite its popularity, "Imagine" has received critiques over the years, some of which have perceived the lyrics in a negative light. Journalist and broadcaster Robert Elms said: "Imagine" was written by a "multi-millionaire with one temperature-controlled room in his Manhattan mansion just to store his fur coats." Elvis Costello also commented satirically on the song in "The Other Side of Summer", wherein he asks the question, "Was it a millionaire who said 'Imagine no possessions'?" (諷刺的是, 演譯者是位億萬富豪! 他真的願意放棄自己擁有的一切嗎? 或只是唱唱而已?)

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.