Philosopher's proof for an infinite universe?

does anyone know/heard of a particular proof by a philosopher regarding an infinite universe? it goes something like this: imagine a man throws an arrow/dart towards the space. the arrow will go on forever, unless it reaches a boundary. if the arrow never reaches a boundary, the universe is infinite. if the... show more does anyone know/heard of a particular proof by a philosopher regarding an infinite universe?

it goes something like this: imagine a man throws an arrow/dart towards the space. the arrow will go on forever, unless it reaches a boundary. if the arrow never reaches a boundary, the universe is infinite. if the arrow reaches a boundary, it must also mean that the universe is inifinite (since the boundary occupies space, i.e. there is always something behind this boundary.)

therefore, the universe is infinite.

anyone knows the philosopher who provided this proof? if i remember correctly, it was an ancient philosopher. please help!
Update: i forgot to write, this proof is considered as a thought experiment.
Update 2: Hi answerers, thank you for all your thoughts! I have found the philosopher, it was Epicurus. thank you Yi Sun Sin! in the thought experiment, a spear was used instead of an arrow. this argument is considered as a compelling one, even till now. if anyone is interested, you can read up on the thought experiment... show more Hi answerers, thank you for all your thoughts! I have found the philosopher, it was Epicurus. thank you Yi Sun Sin!

in the thought experiment, a spear was used instead of an arrow. this argument is considered as a compelling one, even till now. if anyone is interested, you can read up on the thought experiment here:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~dhutchin/f1a.htm

thanks once again!
6 answers 6