Which General Major Would Fit Me Better, Science or Engineering?

I'm looking at college freshman level. In high school I was an all AP/IB student and was a biology lab assistant for 2 years and had a 3.76 GPA.

Pro Traits:

I love lab work in all fields of science and to always get good results.

I like coming up with experiments.

I love coming up with creative solutions to weird problems.

I LOVE and am good at debating things based on facts.

I LOVE and have been told I'm good at applying concepts to find solutions to things.

I like designing things in programs like ACAD.

I'm very good at analysis (this has stood me in good stead through all the fields I've tried.)

Con Traits:

I _hate_ memorization.

I don't like pure theoretical knowledge, it always struck me as a bit useless.

I tend to need to be around motivated people.

There are many others, but no space.

I used to think I'd be an engineer until Junior year, when my Physics teacher made me hate the subject. Now I'm trying to finally decide between either science or engineering

I'm looking at college freshman level. In high school I was an all AP/IB student had a 3.76 GPA.

Pro Traits:

I like coming up with experiments.

Con Traits:

I _hate_ memorization.

There are many others, but no space.

I used to think I'd be an engineer until Junior year, when my Physics teacher made me hate the subject.(He was tenured, but fired the year I had him.) Now I'm trying to finally decide between either science or engineering

^ I apologize for the above. This is my first time using the question feature, and I merely wanted to add detail about the Physics teacher and I thought my first result would be deleted. Anyway, I did have Physics with another instructor, and did like the subject, particularly energy concepts.

Favorite Answer

Engineers tend to have the traits you're looking for. We design and build hardware using CAD, and test hardware in environmental and EMI labs. Often you have overconstrainted problems, which by definition require analysis and creative solutions to weird problems. Since you'll work in a team environment, you will have to argue your ideas to your team lead and fellow engineers using logic based on facts.

Engineers tend to be very practical people and we all suck at memorization. Engineers are also extremely motivated, intelligent, and sometime, odd.

Scientists by definition have PhDs and they tend to love pure research, investigate things that have never been understood before, and regard the practical application of their research as the work for other people (namely, engineers).

There are several types of engineering disciplines to go into, and the math, physics, and engineering principles range for very practical to extremely theoretical.

Source(s): BS in Nuclear Engineering MS in Mechanical Engineering MBA Aerospace Engineering PM for 8 years.
  • Physics and many types of engineering go hand in hand. So if you hate physics it may not be a good choice for you, but you might like if you take it again when you get to college. First year courses probably will involve a lot of memorization and application in wither science or engineering and at my college many of the prereqs were the same for those courses. Go to college with a plan and see how it works out for you. In my experience it is a lot easier to switch from engineering to science than the other way around, but if you make this decsion in the first or second year it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Why do you say you are not creative? As I understand, if you love things to do which you love, you are already creative person. You may never have achievements like say a Sakespear, Bach, or Einstain or your creation may never be a Tajmahal, or Dolly the sheep, yet if you are contributing , than that will be satisfying to you. I have came across persons who hold university masters degree in theirs field , but they always discover ways for half hearted participation and quarrel with their work. If you permit me to say without intending to offend, there is a story in the New Testament as “parable of talent”. Also If can recommend you the story of "two old men" of Leo Tolstoy. Both of them are very dear story for me. Now with regard to your majoring in engineering, why not? or say how about doing Maths and teaching others, or working in statistical department. And science?? well if you read and read and read and read , and by heart all items of your lesson book , than all the things will be as easy as piece of cake. That is what happened to me with Inorganic Chemistry. Possibilities are immense. Think, work, contribute and discover yourself.. You are extrovert, Well that is good. However be within limit. Networking with good intent, and without intending to harm others, may become helpful some day. Wish you very best.

• oceano

I think chemistry or biochemistry would be a good field for you. Especially since you've had some lab experience. Plus your traits seem to fit something like chemistry. Engineering is all physics so if you hate it, forget about engineering.

first of all check on the curricula of the departments you mentioned - you'll see from the start what will you study and you'll have your decision.

In my opinion, based on what you wrote, science is better for you - it also includes engineering, and you'll have the time to determine your place in this wide science space.

Enjoy!

They are basically about the same except for the biology

Both require calc 1 and 2

Both require Physics 1

both require CHem 1

Engineering requires electronics and more Chem and Physics

Science requires biology and more chem and more physics

Both require statistics

engineering..theres many different types so i but youll find one that fits you